We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sorrel vs red cliff - travelling solo with dog

socal
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
sorrel vs red cliff - travelling solo with dog

Hi -- I will be making my way to Ouray Colorado for an offroading event Mid July. I was thinking of making a stop for a day or two in Moab area on the way from southern California.

It does appear from the websites that Sorrel is a bit more upscale. Seems like both places take dogs.

I'm wondering why the large price difference between the two accommodations -- basically its almost twice as much to stay at Sorrel -- you could stay Two nights at Red Cliff for the price on one night at Sorrel.

Wondering if anyone else has stayed at either and if you have brought your dog with you -- I have a sweet black lab who loves a ranch environment -- not sure if dogs can run and play on premises and if the restaurant common areas are dog friendly.

Suggestions?

Mentioned in this post
Ouray
Ouray
Colorado
Moab
Moab
Utah
California
California
United States
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
19,837 posts
428 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sorrel vs red cliff - travelling solo with dog

Been to both but haven't stayed. Sorrel River definitely a bit nicer but both are great with huge expanse of property along the Colorado. Do note that they are a good ways outside Moab. But both offer a great place to stay for a couple days. Don't know pricing but you can make the call. I don't think you'll regret either decision.

Mentioned in this post
Colorado
Colorado
United States
Moab
Moab
Utah
Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sorrel vs red cliff - travelling solo with dog

We've not stayed at Sorrel, although it has a wonderful reputation, particularly as a spa, which might explain the price difference.

We have stayed at Red Cliffs, several times, and love it. We've always reserved one of the queen suites on the river with their own patios. The amenities are very nice, the property is extra clean and well maintained, the views from everywhere including your room patio, pool, restaurant and grassy areas are spectacular. They also have a winery that sells their own label, a fun John Wayne museum and offer outfitter services. The outside deck of the restaurant is a great place to river raft watch.

It is 11 miles outside of Moab, but the drive along the Colorado river is very scenic and we've never felt that it was inconvenient to the parks, town, etc. We love the location.

Red Cliffs is pet friendly with a $20 fee. I don't believe that Sorrel is as it came up in a conversation a couple of years ago with an out of state friend who travels with her two dogs and was interested in Sorrel for it's spa, but their website should say.

Have a great time in Moab. We love it there and just returned from a 6 night celebration of my Mom's 90th birthday. Arches, Canyonlands, Dead Horse Point and Castle Valley never cease to amaze.

Mentioned in this post
Red Cliffs Lodge
Red Cliffs Lodge
3,044 Reviews
Moab, UT
Moab
Moab
Utah
Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sorrel vs red cliff - travelling solo with dog

PS

Red Cliffs does have a leash only policy for pets so no off leash running on the property, but they do have large grassy lawns.

Mentioned in this post
Red Cliffs Lodge
Red Cliffs Lodge
3,044 Reviews
Moab, UT
Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,401 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sorrel vs red cliff - travelling solo with dog

Moab will be hot, hot, hot. Where will your dog be when you are out and about? Some lodging does not allow pets to be left alone in the room when you are gone.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
234 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sorrel vs red cliff - travelling solo with dog

We too will be traveling to Moab, but in August. We were also looking at the Sorrel River Ranch, but decided against it. For what we would have spent at the ranch for two days, we can extend our stay to four and still pay $100 less. We found a great little place that rents cottages and does allow pets. The name is 3 Dogs and a Moose. We have not stayed there yet, but so far the owners have been very responsive. Just thought you might want to have a look before you decide.

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Sorrel River Ranch Resort and Spa
Sorrel River Ranch...
849 Reviews
Moab, UT
6. Re: sorrel vs red cliff - travelling solo with dog

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2014, 12:17