We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Off-Season

Longmont, Colorado
1 post
Save Topic
Off-Season

I might be planning a trip for Moab in December. Does anyone have any experience traveling to Moab in the off season? I've heard a lot of conflicting comments about the off-season. Pretty much all the activities you can do in the summer can be done in the winter, but it sounds like a lot of business/hotels just shutdown for the off-season.

I'm wondering what the experience visiting Moab is like in the off-season. Is it so drastically different that it's not worth going, or is the city/local businesses just not promoting the off-season enough?

Mentioned in this post
Moab
Moab
Utah
Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,386 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Off-Season

Winter is still a worthwhile experience. We usually do a December trip or two. Things are definitely quiet in town but always enough restaurants and motels open to handle the business. Rates are super cheap. I think we paid $39 for a decent hotel over Christmas last year. Snow will hamper some of your activities and you won't be river rafting. But you can still get around, do hikes, sometimes bike but slickrock is, well, pretty slick with snow and ice.

You do have to be prepared with layers. Definitely very cold at night, warmer in day. Days are also very short.

But it is worthwhile if that's the only time you can go.

Have fun.

Kipling. SK
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park
Level Contributor
7,015 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Off-Season

I wouldn't say a lot of businesses are shut down in terms of hotels and restaurants. I can't be certain of this, but I would say that most of the guides and outfitters will have put things away until spring though.

Visiting in the off season has its chances of snow and slightly inclement weather, and the days will be obviously shorter. But the trade off will be the lack of crowds, and really low hotel rates.

3. Re: Off-Season

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2014, 13:17