We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego itinerary help over Christmas 12/19-12/27

Anchorage, Alaska
3 posts
San Diego itinerary help over Christmas 12/19-12/27

Hi! We're planning a family trip (8 of us total) and I'd like to get some feedback on when we should plan on seeing some of the items on our list. There are two kids (10 & 16), several of us in our mid-30s, and our parents +/- 60. The SO and I visited San Diego last December for a few days, but otherwise, most of us are new to the area. We're flying into LAX and driving down, and expect to rent two vehicles.

We want to see all the usual attractions - USS Midway, the Zoo, Legoland, etc., but also want to see sites like Coronado, La Jolla, and Torrey Pines. We may rent a sailboat for a day, and a few of us might check out Tijuana.

We were thinking of seeing the zoo on Christmas day (since we'll all be together and this trip is our gift to each other) :) - maybe Legoland Christmas Eve? Any advice on ways to avoid the biggest crowds at any of these destinations?

Thanks in advance!

3 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,655 posts
71 reviews
1. Re: San Diego itinerary help over Christmas 12/19-12/27

Hi,

Legoland is usually a place to go with young children under the age of 10. I wouldn't pick it as a spot for a family of mostly adults on Christmas eve (or any other time).

Are there engineers in the group interested in making things with Legos??

The zoo has Christmas dinner options but I don't think they are on the web site yet.

I wouldn't worry about crowds at the zoo since there are few things there where lines are an issue.

What day of the week are you driving down from LAX. It is too bad you couldn't just fly into SAN. The drive can be long depending on traffic.

The lines going into Mexico and coming back at Christmas are really loooong.

I will look at a calendar to see what days of the week are involved.

Edited: 23 September 2018, 06:35
Anchorage, Alaska
3 posts
2. Re: San Diego itinerary help over Christmas 12/19-12/27

There are 3 engineers with us :) Good to know though - maybe we will revisit this. Same with Tijuana - I'm on the fence myself but some have their heart set on it. LOL.

Half of us are flying in Wednesday afternoon to LAX - unfortunately, the flights into LAX were substantially cheaper and times were better than into San Diego. The others either live in LA area or were able to get flights direct.

Thanks for the feedback!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,655 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: San Diego itinerary help over Christmas 12/19-12/27

Do you have passports? You need them now to go to Mexico.

Perhaps try and see when you are here. We once tried to drive back on Christmas eve and the line took 4 hrs to get through! On the days before Christmas folks come across to the USA side to shop. Maybe try during your time here after Christmas Day.

Where are you staying?

When you are in Coronado you may find it fun to go ice skating at the beach at the Hotel del Coronado. Even if you don't skate it is fun to watch the folks trying to skate while the ice melts!

Reply to: San Diego itinerary help over Christmas 12/19-12/27
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted