We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are hotels so expensive in Carlsbad?

Dallas
Level Contributor
28 posts
696 reviews
Save Topic
Why are hotels so expensive in Carlsbad?

I was in Carlsbad three years ago and they were expensive then and now with even more hotels they are even higher. The rates are higher in New York City and San Francisco for comparable properties. Three years ago I was told it was because of a shortage of rooms which were mainly being used by oil field workers. I know there is less drilling going on now so that doesn't make sense to me. You would think there would be more hotels built here if there is such a shortage.

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#1 of 22 hotels in Carlsbad
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#2 of 22 hotels in Carlsbad
Hampton Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Hampton Inn & Suites Carlsbad
#3 of 22 hotels in Carlsbad
5 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,303 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are hotels so expensive in Carlsbad?

Drilling in the area has increased this last year, and more workers are coming in to the area. Housing is extremely short around the area, so many workers, and even their families, are having to stay in hotels. Hotels are taking advantage of the high wages and charging more for rooms.

Suggestion, stay in White's City at the entrance to the park, or even Artesia. Artesia is a nice small town with several good hotels, and some fine restaurants. Sometimes the refinery odor wafts over town, but for the most part it heads east away from it.

As to more hotels, Carlsbad has had a surge of new hotels over the last few years, but I suppose they don't want to go too far with building, since some of the smaller towns are building more homes.

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Carlsbad, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are hotels so expensive in Carlsbad?

Actually Carlsbad is in the " teardrop" shaped formation of one of the largest oil discoveries to date. The hotels are all about supply and demand. There are all kinds of stories about Carlsbad hitting the price point in the Nation. Not sure if it is true. The housing shortage is causing difficulties for our travelers but it is even harder on people in low to mid paying jobs trying to find housing.

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
801 posts
204 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are hotels so expensive in Carlsbad?

This all is consistent with an experience my son had when planning a professional trip to Carlsbad recently. Prices are incredibly high, and they are also volatile: he reports that prices at one particular hotel nearly doubled during the three hours(!) between when his academic adviser booked his room and he tried to book his own. We can't see the reasons clearly from here (opposite end of the state), but the temporary-housing explanation makes sense.

There's a cyclical nature to all this, so I recommend booking hotels refundably WAY in advance and ratcheting down the price as the travel date approaches. Feel no guilt about doing so.

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
Ansbach
Level Contributor
26 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are hotels so expensive in Carlsbad?

Oil, oil and oil. Lodging is nearly impossible to find in Carlsbad. Recently called the largest oil find in history??? Production technology has increased to the point where they can make money at almost any price per barrel. If you don't live here be happy about increased supply and lower fuel costs. If you live here and aren't making wads of money in the oil field it can be TOUGH....housing is impossible to find and even groceries are scarce.

If I were planning to visit the Caverns I'd stay in El Paso and make the 2 hour drive. Its very pretty from that side of Carlsbad and traffic isn't bad. Even if you manage to find lodging in Carlsbad you will wait 30- 45 minutes at McDonalds to eat.....simply because of the numbers of people trying to feed themselves. I personally would prefer driving 2 hours through a beautiful high desert landscape then trying to eat at a sit down restaurant in Carlsbad and waiting 2 hours for a table. If you stay for the bats in the evening it will make for a late night getting back to El Paso but the drive is safe, relatively speaking for the drive in any other direction from Carlsbad, and traffic is very light.

Mentioned in this post
Carlsbad
Carlsbad
California
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are hotels so expensive in Carlsbad?

Drilling has slowed down but they are building infrastructure, the prices are way too high for tourist. They use old fashion " All the traffic can bare"

Reply to: Why are hotels so expensive in Carlsbad?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted