We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does TKTS let you choose seats?

Florida
Level Contributor
240 posts
207 reviews
83 helpful votes
Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

Does TKTS let you choose seats they have available from a seating chart, or do they just decide what to give you based on the price/section you're paying for, with no option to choose the actual seats.

Thank you.

Manhattan
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
7 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

No option.

Greater Sydney...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,573 posts
21 reviews
78 helpful votes
2. Re: Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

When I went to the one under the red steps in TS, they said there is "a seat in row C" from memory. No specific seat, but the row was mentioned, and the price. That was good enough for me.

Level Contributor
129 posts
3. Re: Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

I rarely use TKTS, but the last time I did, I was able to choose my seats - perhaps because they weren't busy.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
21,801 posts
27 reviews
9 helpful votes
4. Re: Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

Whether or not you get to choose your sets depends mainly on how busy they are. I don't think they have seating charts available so all you have to go with, if at all, is a descriptive of row & seat. The issue with that is that different theaters have different seating arrangement so for example, row C can be the 3rd row or the 8th row. If you want to choose seats for sure, you need to go to the discount parts of Broadway Box. Playbill or TheaterMania where you click on seats that are shown on a seating chart.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13,328 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
5. Re: Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

In my experience, they don't let you choose in the sense that they show you a chart and let you pick. They will say something like "they are in row c right." If you say something like "is that all?" they may offer you something else, but there is no guarantee. So it's sort of halfway between going and choosing them at the box office and going on TDF (where you know nothing until you get to the box office and are handed your tix, which cannot be changed). It pays to know something about the theater(s) where the show(s) you want are, so you can make a quick decision.

Edited: 1 year ago
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
21,801 posts
27 reviews
9 helpful votes
6. Re: Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

I suppose, if you have a smartphone, you could look up the seat on the show's website but the folks at TKTS (with good reason) will not let you just stand around while you look up seats if what they offer is not to your liking & you stand there not moving trying to make up your mind. There's probably a bunch of folks in back of you that will start grumbling loudly if you take too long to purchase.

TKTS is not for those who are indecisive or very particular.

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13,328 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
7. Re: Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

Do not even THINK of looking up seats on phone, calling someone for advice, etc. Actually, you should probably just turn phone off during this transaction, if for no other reason than maybe being tempted to answer if someone calls you. I believe I have seen at least one box office with a sign to this effect -- that is, if you want to discuss with someone, you have to go away and when you come back you go to end of line.

It's bad enough when 3 or 4 people go to box office or TKTS together and stand there discussing while others are waiting.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
21,801 posts
27 reviews
9 helpful votes
8. Re: Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

I agree. That's why I said that the TKTS booth is not for the particular or indecisive. You need to have some idea of what you want to see & where you definitely don't want to sit when you get up to the window.

Boston...
Level Contributor
43,898 posts
1,205 reviews
282 helpful votes
9. Re: Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

The discount in advance sites do let you choose your seat

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13,328 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
10. Re: Does TKTS let you choose seats?
Save

Yes the discount in advance sites (aka coupons) let you select your seat; however, in my experience it is a more limited selection than is available at box office (and I realize people from far away may not have option of going to box office).

US$USD
Singapore
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Singapore. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.