We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help, Never been to NYC!!

Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
426 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Help, Never been to NYC!!

Hi I am going to be going to New York for the first time. It is a short layover so I will have about 2 days. Please help me, We will be flying into EWR. I want to know how to get downtown (by train?) and what area to look for hotel? Some of the things we want to do are go to Times Square, Central Park. I just feel so lost because I dont know anything about this huge city!! I need someone to point me in the right direction. Thanks :)

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,371 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
113,119 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help, Never been to NYC!!

Don't panic. There are plenty fo free on-line guides to help you.

In your situtation, I'd consult frommers.com or fodors.com. They have very nice 1, 2 and 3 day itineraries. Other websites and guide books have similar ideas. You can find them at your local library, bookstore, and get FREE guides and maps from AAA (auto club.)

On this forum, you should start at the top. There's an FAQ "sticky" that answers basic re: commuting from the airports, getting around town, etc.

Re: hotels. There are many deals to be had now, considering the economy.

You should search discount websites like:

www.travelzoo.com

www.quickbook.com

www.kayak.com

and also read hotel reviews, which are linked on the left margin of this page.

In order for us to help you, you need to tell us specifics: your budget ceiling, days you'll be here, how many beds/rooms you need.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,251 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help, Never been to NYC!!

There's no one best location but midtown west is probably a good idea for you. What are the exact dates and how many are you? I see you know about Hotwire. If you're 1 or 2, Priceline is an even beter option for good deals. Do you care about small hotel rooms? There are some very good hotel options near Central Park that are affordable but cheapest rooms tend to be very small.

Mentioned in this post
Central Park
Central Park
113,119 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,251 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help, Never been to NYC!!

PS, let me quickly amend what I said. If you're bidding on Priceline, I would bid either Times Square or Central Park South. I would NOT bid on midtown west b/c the likliest win is the Sheraton which is not very nice. Times Square area is part of midtown west.

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
43,371 Reviews
New York City, NY
Central Park
Central Park
113,119 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help, Never been to NYC!!

Hi Strongs,

Welcome to NYC !!!

http://www.mustseenewyork.com/

www.frommers.com/destinations/newyorkcity/

Mentioned in this post
Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
426 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help, Never been to NYC!!

Well we arent going to be there until April 15-17 2010. Planning a trip to Jamaica then and had a layover in NYC so thought might as well explore as much as we can. There are only 2 of us and we dont care so much about a small hotel room. Is EWR in New York or New Jersey? How far away is downtown?

Thanks for all your info!

Mentioned in this post
Jamaica
Jamaica
Queens, NY
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
7,542 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help, Never been to NYC!!

I think you really need to read the links you've been given, Strongs. Newark is located in New Jersey, not New York.

Additionally, I think you might be confused about your idea of "downtown." In NYC, "downtown" refers to lower Manhattan. If you're thinking of the area around Times Square and Rockefeller Center, you're thinking of midtown.

Start reading the information you've been provided, then come back with specific questions.

Mentioned in this post
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Times Square
Times Square
43,371 Reviews
New York City, NY
Rockefeller Center
Rockefeller Center
21,190 Reviews
New York City, NY
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
102,251 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help, Never been to NYC!!

EWR is in New Jersey but is about the same distance from Manhattan as JFK so either are fine. The other local airport is LGA which is the closest. "Downtown" in NYC usually means the financial district. What most people think of as the center of town is called "midtown." Both JFK and EWR are about 1 hr. with LGA being 30-45 mins. You can look at distances by going to

maps.google.com

and just typing

Newark airport to Times Square NYC or some such.

Mentioned in this post
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Newark
Newark
New Jersey
Times Square
Times Square
43,371 Reviews
New York City, NY
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
25,046 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help, Never been to NYC!!

Thanks for clarifying. So, turns out you have some time to plan. A guide book and a map would def help you.

Here's the link for the FAQ "sticky" in case you couldn't find it.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60763-i5-k1948627… FAQ_Frequently_Asked_Questions_for_NYC-

All the way at the bottom are trip reports, most by first-timers.

You can also type phrases such as "two days in NYC" in the forum search box to see what other people have done.

Mentioned in this post
Loveland, Colorado
Level Contributor
426 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help, Never been to NYC!!

Thanks, I have been having fun reading all of the great info you guys have on here. I wish my trip was closer, cant wait to go!!

10. Re: Help, Never been to NYC!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2009, 14:20