We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for Visit 8-15th July for first timer

Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tips for Visit 8-15th July for first timer

Kia ora from NZ

I am attending some training at the Kettering Foundation from the 8-15 July. It will be my first trip to Dayton, Ohio.

Im wanting any advice from weather? sights to see, food that I MUST try, Shopping?

Im about to pack and it is winter here so looking forward to summer.

Any advice to a newbie to your city would be much appreciated

Phoebe

Mentioned in this post
7 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips for Visit 8-15th July for first timer

Southern Ohio during July should be quite humid. Pack something long sleeve to fend off mosquitoes in the evening. There is a cute, funky town with a hippie vibe called Yellow Springs within twenty minutes; it is the home to Antioch College. Kings Island amusement park is a forty minute drive. If you're into air-related things there are few museums in nearby Dayton. Be advised that we drive on opposite sides of the road from you (I visited the North Island and loved it!)

Please let me know if I may be of further help.

Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Kings Island
Kings Island
2,530 Reviews
Mason, OH
Columbus, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Columbus
Level Contributor
802 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips for Visit 8-15th July for first timer

It will probably be hot and humid. It may rain, but hard to predict.

The Air Force Museum is worth a visit. I hadn't been in decades and went this winter, and it's very cool, even for someone with no particular aircraft or military interest.

Locals will have better dining suggestions, but I will say I really like the beer at Warped Wing, and sometimes drive back to Columbus from Cincinnati via Dayton just so I can stop at Ghostlight Coffee (Press Coffee is also very good).

If you have the chance to get over to Yellow Springs, it's a cool, funky small town with lots of shops.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
8 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips for Visit 8-15th July for first timer

Check this out: http://www.onlyinyourstate.com/ as well as this: http://idle-hourranch.com/

cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips for Visit 8-15th July for first timer

Interesting organization Kettering Foundation. Enjoy the experience.

Dayton's high spots:

Aviation Heritage area - Air Force Museum, Wright cycle shop, and especially the Armstrong Museum just up I-75(keep your passport with you to get in, this is a working U.S.A.F base);

Sunwatch Village - on the shores of the river, this partially excavated 12th century Native American village shows how over forebears lived;

Carillon Park: not only has the carillon concerts, it has displays like Wright's 3rd Flyer, DELCO lab, plus various other unique Dayton historical sites in the park.

These are the biggies, I'll leave the locals to put you onto eateries of note. Just remember, both Cincinnati and Columbus are about an hour's drive if you find anything of interest there.

Welcome and enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
312 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips for Visit 8-15th July for first timer

First off, hopefully you will have a car as it will make getting around quite a bit easier.

So here's some things to check out food wise that have not been mentioned but it would honestly help to know your tastes a little bit.

The below list is in no particular order other than when things came to mind. The first 2 are more associated with Cincinnati but I would recommend trying.

1. Skyline Chili - Get a Coney

2. Goetta (You may have to drive to Cincinnati if you want to try this though).

3. Young's Jersey Dairy - If you are going to check out Yellow Springs, a must stop for me is to get some ice cream at Young's.

4. A Buckeye - Not one from the Buckeye tree but a candy one. You should be able to find them at most grocery stores these days. Maybe even at...

5. Esther Price Candy - Dayton candy company been around since the 1920s.

6. Mike Sell's Potato Chips - My favorite is Green Onion flavor.

7. Elsa's - It's a Mexican Restaurant. Decent food but if you go, get a Bad Juan (Very Good Margarita).

8. Rooster's - If you like chicken wings, this is my go to.

9. Marion's Pizza - Thin crust pizza...most of the locals rave about it.

10. Oregon District - A section of bars/shops/etc...in Downtown Dayton

11. The Greene - Your shopping headquarters. Outdoor mall with a lot of different shops and restaurants. Setup to look like a small town in and of itself.

That's all that comes to mind. I'm more of a sports bar/average price type when it comes to food and dining out so if you are looking for more upscale options, I'll defer to someone else.

Mentioned in this post
Skyline Chili
Skyline Chili
930 Reviews
Cincinnati, OH
Young's Jersey Dairy
Young's Jersey Dairy
495 Reviews
Yellow Springs, OH
Oregon District
Oregon District
206 Reviews
Dayton, OH
The Greene
The Greene
33 Reviews
Beavercreek, OH
cincinnati, ohio
Level Contributor
3,077 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips for Visit 8-15th July for first timer

Thanks for the great plug about Cincy!!

For pizza, I prefer Cassano's.

Skyline Chili has 12 locations around Dayton. Its more a sauce than an entrée(like chili con carne) spread over spaghetti with cheese, onion, or beans added. Coney's are small hot dogs on bun with mustard, chili, onion and cheese on top of the wiener.

Goetta is a regional dish made with equal parts ground beef and ground pork with steel cut pinhead oats and seasonings made into a loaf. Slices are cut, fried crisp, and served as a breakfast meat in place of bacon or ham. Unfortunately, Goettafest, in Cincinnati, is the first week of August so you'll miss it. Sorry.

If you like ice cream, you'll want to stop at one of the 3 Graeter's stores around Dayton and try their peach or United Dairy Farmer's and try their peach. Both are superb!!

Enjoy!!

Mentioned in this post
Skyline Chili
Skyline Chili
930 Reviews
Cincinnati, OH
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,020 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips for Visit 8-15th July for first timer

You are visiting the Greater Dayton Metropolitan Area, and there are several suburbs.

Do yourself a favor and read the Dayton and Suburban Tripadvisor Restaurant Reviews -- There are more restaurants than one might imagine.

Edited: 29 June 2017, 03:41
Mentioned in this post
Reply to: Tips for Visit 8-15th July for first timer
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Dayton