We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to the Airforce museum

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to the Airforce museum

Hello,

We are planning to visit Dayton over the long weekend from Toronto.

This trip is to mainly visit the airforce museum since my 9 yr old son is a lot into airplanes now..

Can you pls advise if the museum is interesting for this age..

Also, is there anything interesting for his age in and around Dayton.

Any help is sincerely appreciated.

Thanks,

Jay.

Ottawa, ON
Level Contributor
2,612 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to the Airforce museum

I think he'll like the Air Force museum.

I used to live in Dayton and the biggest attraction was that Cincinnati was only an hour down the road. Too bad the Reds aren't home this weekend.

Anything here that your kid might find interesting, http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/attractions/

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to the Airforce museum

Thanks Ron. I really appreciate your help. I'll take a look at Cincinnati..

Chillicothe, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Ohio, Sandusky
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to the Airforce museum

Are you in to hiking and outdoorsey type activities? A stop in Yellow Springs might be worth it. John Bryan State Park and adjacent Clifton Gorge has soem great natural rock formations, waterfalls, rivers to wade in (if it's not too cold!), plus Clifton Mill is cool to see. Young's Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs is a "must" if you enjoy ice cream!

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
319 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to the Airforce museum

If he is into airplanes then definitely make the trip, he will find it interesting. As you go through the museum, it is a walk through aviation history so you will see a lot of planes from the very early Wright Brothers planes to the latest and greatest technology with a lot of other aviation history along the way. If you stop and read everything, it will take you a very long time to go through it.

As soon as you get in and go through the gift shop area, immediately sign up for the Air Force One excursion, you will get on a bus and go to a separate hangar and get to see a couple of the retired ones and some other planes. This fills up fast so do it right away.

Also, not sure if the Dragons are in town when you will be here but it is a great minor league baseball experience if he is into that. What types of activities does your son like? I can give you some better ideas then.

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to the Airforce museum

Thanks Trabba. Information on signing up for seeing Airforce one is useful.

Baseball, I'll probably skip since he gets to see them anyways in Toronto.

Since I am doing 1 day for him, I wont mind doing the other day for myself.. Probably some nature walking(som egood trails.. saw some reviews on some good parks..) May be some shopping.. Is there any outlet mall near Dayton?

Thanks for your help..

Jay.

Dayton, Ohio
Level Contributor
319 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to the Airforce museum

Jay,

Also, with the museum, there are plenty of volunteers there too so make sure to ask if you are not finding where to sign up but get there early, just FYI. Also, the museum has an IMAX for an additional charge usually with flight related movies, you can probably check it out at the museums website.

As for trails, haven't been to John Bryan in awhile but they are nice trails, there are also numerous Metroparks around the area that offer very trails and such, really depends on how far you want to go.

Outlet malls, there are a couple about 30-45 minutes away. One is www.primeoutlets-jeffersonville.com and the other is www.premiumoutlets.com/. There is also a large "flea market", I'll use that term loosely, called Trader's World, near the Premium Outlets. In that general area is also a large grocery store called Jungle Jim's that would be an experience. Closer to Dayton, there is a shopping area called The Greene with tons of shopping and dining, it is setup like a small town, more or less, but this is definitely not an outlet mall.

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any more questions.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to the Airforce museum

The Boonshoft Museum of Discovery reportedly is excellent and receives very good TA reviews.

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60785-d61…

http://www.boonshoftmuseum.org/

Cincinnati Premium Outlets in Monroe, about 50 minutes south of Dayton:

premiumoutlets.com/outlets/directions.asp…

It would be on your way if you visit Cincinnati.

The Jeffersonville Prime Outlets Mall would be about 45 minutes southeast of Dayton, and more convenient if you desired to visit Columbus.

primeoutlets-jeffersonville.com/store-direct…

Columbus features one of the very best zoos in the U.S. Easton Town Center is one of the top shopping meccas in the Midwest. German Village is one of the nation's historical residential districts. Ohio State is one of the nation's largest college campuses, as evidenced by the massive, new Ohio Union Building, which might interest a nine-year-old.

Cincinnati has better museums than Columbus, and your son probably would enjoy Cincinnati's natural history museum. It has unique features that appeal to kids. Cincinnati also features the National Underground Railroad Museum and Freedom Center, which certainly would prove very educational.

In Cincinnati, you also could walk across the Ohio River to Kentucky on the Purple People Bridge. The Newport Aquarium is one of the best in the region. And, of course, you could experience Cincinnati chili, as served up at the pervasive Skyline Chile restaurants.

Two IMO not-to-miss attractions in Dayton are the Carillon Historical Park and the Huffman Prairie Flying Field. The Wright building at Carillon houses the world's first airplane and the small museum there is IMO the best of the several Wright attractions in the Dayton Aviation Heritage National Historical Park. Huffman Prairie Flying Field, very near the air museum is where the Wright brothers perfected and flew the first airplane (the craft "flown" at Kitty Hawk was merely a powered glider incapable of controlled, powered flight).

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60785-i1116-k4380…

If you visit the Wright Flyer III at the IMO excellent Carillon Historical Park, be certain to note the canoe hanging above it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A1062569

The Wright Cycle Complex, part of the national historical park, also is very well done. The story of the Wright brothers is probably one of the best possible for a nine-year-old to learn.

Arguably the most beautiful location in Ohio are the Hocking Hills southeast of Columbus, with great hiking trails. The Jeffersonville outlet mall would be along the way there. It may be a little too far (2-3 hours) for you, depending upon how many days you plan to spend in Ohio. The water features in Hocking Hills should be beautiful amid the spring rains.

http://www.hockinghills.com/

Have fun in Ohio!

Edited: 20 April 2011, 05:54
Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to the Airforce museum

Thanks a lot Trabba and TranscendentalEye . Thats a lot of useful information!! I really appreciate your help and the precious time you spent on this.

Thanks.

Toronto
Level Contributor
450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First trip to the Airforce museum

Trabba/TrancedentalEye,

Can I bother you with one more questin..(hopefully!!)

I am trying to decide on an accomodation for my trip. From the other question in this forum, I see both Holiday Inn Dayton Fairborn and ComfortSuites were recommended.

Is there a preference?

I would like to have a hotel clean safe room with a good swimming pool.

Also, I would like to have some restaurant options available nearby.

And ofcourse, it should be reasonably close to the museum and one of the malls you had suggested(yet to decide which mall to go to..)..

Please advise.

Thanks,

Jay.

Cleveland
Level Contributor
10,853 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First trip to the Airforce museum

Jay,

Can't help you with that choice. I've never stayed overnight near the museum.

Good luck!

Get answers to your questions about Dayton