We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

Casablanca, Chile
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

Hello all,

I am not from the US and am here on vacation in NYC. I'd like to visit Princeton and Philadelphia on the same day because I am pressed for time. I plan to use as much public transport as possible.

Just checked there are direct buses from NYC to both cities and back

It's the connection between Princeton NJ and Philly that worries me.

I figure which is better, stop at which city first? My instincts tell me, do Princeton first then go to Philly .

I checked Amtrak train schedule but there is only one direct train (35 min) in the morning to my dismay.

Is there any carpooling website I can use as well? Or my best option is SEPTA via Trenton? How often and reliable are their services on Sunday?

Many thanks to you all

15 replies to this topic
Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

What are you planning on doing in both cities? There's no where nearly enough time to do both cities in one day. There's barely any time to do one city in one day, unless you have very few things you want to actually see.

There's no carpooling option.

The best transit options would be to use NJ Transit from NYC Penn Station to Princeton Junction which will connect you to Princeton. From Princeton to Philly, you can take NJ Transit from Princeton Junction to Trenton, where you would connect with a SEPTA train which will take you from Trenton to Philadelphia.

Train and bus services are reliable any day of the week, subject to the normal issues (congestion, delays, accidents, etc).

Southern NJ
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

The NJT train that you can pick up at Penn Station is your best choice to get to Princeton and then Amtrak from Princeton to Philadelphia. Returning to NYC, you can take a bus which is cheaper than the train.

Casablanca, Chile
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

I wish I had more time but I gotta do both cities on one day :(

Thanks much for telling me about NJ transit. I just checked the train schedules on their website. Looking good to me except the return journey back to NYC, so I will take your advice and take the bus instead.

BTW can I buy the NJ transit tickets in advance (online or at the station) or I just buy them before boarding? Which is the most hassle-free option?

Thanks a million

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
8,054 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

NJ Transit has an app you can download and purchase the ticket that way, or just show up at the station and use a ticket machine or go to a ticket window at Penn Station.

Tickets don't expire until used and aren't for any specific train.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,331 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

I don't think this is realistic. Even a day trip to either is rushed IMO.

Edited: 09 June 2018, 11:53
Niagara Falls, New...
Level Contributor
13 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

Is there just one thing you want to see in each city? Like Princeton University and Independence hall? Otherwise you will just have time to get oriented and it will be time to catch transportation to your next stop. Do you have an international license? The fastest way, and probably not to expensive, is to travel just outside NYC and rent a car, that way you could have more of the day to sight-see.

Casablanca, Chile
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

I only need a couple of hours to walk around the campus in Princeton.

It's a shame that it takes nearly two hours from Princeton to Philly by train when a car ride just takes like 40 minutes or less.

It's such a big shame that carpooling isn't a thing in the USA!!!! It should be!!!! Public transport is such a time waster.

Philadelphia
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

Lyft Line would cost around $50 and take about an hour and 10 minutes. Uber Pool is coming up at $77

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,781 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

It doesn't take two hours by train if you use AMTRAK- it only takes 35 minutes, but it is relatively expensive.

Casablanca, Chile
Level Contributor
80 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!

There is only one AMTRAK train from Princeton to Philly. And it's in the morning.

I am now home and I am happy to report that my day trip was a very productive one. Trains were mostly on time and I got to see most of what I wished to see in both cities. I hopped on the Phlash bus to get an orientation of Philly. The weather was a bit too rainy but I liked it better than hot and humid.

Thank you all so much for your wonderful help and advice.

Reply to: Visit both Princeton and Philly on Sunday- advice please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted