We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheap, clean, safe, central accomodation

sydney
Level Contributor
18 posts
4 reviews
cheap, clean, safe, central accomodation

hey everyone!

im coming to the US in may for 4 months next year. i plan ti be in philly in june or july. i dont have exact dates yet..

im looking for budget, clean, safe accommodation in a central location.

if anyone has any recommendations i would be grateful!

im wanting a hotel or motel around $50-$60 a night. its basically somewhere to rest my head that is clean and safe. im only stopping in for 2 nights i think..

thanks for your help in advance!

Cherry Hill, NJ
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
8,846 posts
151 reviews
1. Re: cheap, clean, safe, central accomodation

To be blunt, unless you use Priceline or a hostel, most likely, not happening.

Average rates in Philly in the June July (peak) time frame are around $120-$140 for a basic midgrade hotel, $200 and up for a premium. I'm not even sure you could get priceline for those rates on a weekend.

You could stay a ways outside the city for those prices, but any savings would be eaten up in transit costs, and they still would not be the best places.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,500 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: cheap, clean, safe, central accomodation

What do you plan to see/do in Philly, and will you have a car?

Lynn

Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,895 posts
97 reviews
3. Re: cheap, clean, safe, central accomodation

I looked at your posting profile, and judging by the areas you've posted questions to (LA, San Diego, Seattle, Miami, Phila, NYC), I think you will need to re-think your trip. You have picked some of the most expensive cities in the U.S. to visit, and are asking for budget accommodations in each. There won't be any- at least any that would actually want to stay in. You may have a slight chance in Miami, as that will be off-season, but it is still an expensive city.

Not as important a consideration, but still something you should be aware of- the USA is very large. Foreign visitors usually underestimate the size. For example, it would take a single person a week to drive from LA to New York. If travelling with companions, the driving can be shared, so you can drive longer each day and make it more quickly, but even at 24 hrs/day driving, it is still a 4 day trip, and that's without stopping to see anything. I know you will be here for several months, but unless you are flying from place to place (which is usually expensive within the U.S.as compared to other countries) a lot of that will be spent driving, which is not necessarily a bad thing, as you really get to see the U.S. Just be aware that you are planning to visit what are basically the four corners of a very large rectangle.

Edited: 05 December 2009, 22:04
Shellharbour...
Level Contributor
86 posts
48 reviews
4. Re: cheap, clean, safe, central accomodation

I agree with Owlyn that your expectations on what you want to pay for a hotel may need to be revised upward. I am currently doing a bit of research for a trip to the US next year around the same time, and unless you are very lucky to get a good last minute deal, your price range is definately in the hostel range, and some may not be all that wonderful at that.

Yes, the further you stay outside the city, the cheaper hotels often are, but the cost of getting around and the inconvenience of travelling back and forth can reduce the amount of time you have to sightsee, sometimes by quite a lot.

It is a long way to travel from Oz, and you owe it to yourself to have a quality holiday. It would be a shame to short change yourself by wasting good sightseeing time by trying to do too much on the cheap. Mabey a more modest itinerary will give you a richer experience.

Either way, have a great time.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
5,271 posts
24 reviews
5. Re: cheap, clean, safe, central accomodation

If you are lucky with www.priceline.com, you can get an acceptable room in the $50 to $80 range in Center City (downtown) Philadelphia. A lot depends on whether there are conventions scheduled for your dates. Occasionally, www.hotwire.com will give you a price in that range.

If that strategy doesn't work, you can get a room at Motel 6 for about $50, but it will be in the suburbs or near the airport, and public transit to downtown will be very difficult. I would not recommend being so far from the places in Philadelphia you will want to see.

6. Re: cheap, clean, safe, central accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 June 2010, 12:15