We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants for New Year's Day

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants for New Year's Day

My husband and I will be arriving in Philadelphia on New Year's Day and would like to take a friend out to dinner in the evening. Does anyone know a nice, but not terribly formal or expensive, restaurant that will be open that day? We're arriving in the late afternoon, when the Mummer's Parade will presumably be over.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Beiler's Bakery
$, American, Fast food
Zahav
$$$$, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Israeli
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
for Philadelphia, Train Travel, Bucks County
Level Contributor
9,742 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants for New Year's Day

Almost everything is open, so it really depends on what kind of food you want.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants for New Year's Day

In addition to cuisine choices, also give us an idea of what you want to pay per entree, perhaps - also helpful information in making a recommendation.

Suzanne

Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants for New Year's Day

We're from Italy, and we tend to avoid Italian restaurants outside of Italy. The friend I'm treating isn't much interested in exotic cuisines, so I suppose that leaves other European cuisines and American restaurants. Possibly a good Chinese restaurant, but I'm not sure how that would go over. My husband has the typical Italian prejudice against Chinese cuisine, due to the really horrible quality of most Chinese restaurants here. I would especially be interested in a good seafood restaurant. I lived in Philadelphia many years ago, and there were some very good seafood restaurants whose names I don't remember. (Not Bookbinder's, which I thought was overrated and overpriced.)

We don't drink wine, so a great wine list is not a necessity, although I would prefer a place that serves wine in case my friend wants some.

I have no idea of restaurant prices in the US, so it's hard to say what price I would expect to pay for an entrée. We will be staying in center city, near Rittenhouse Square, and my friend lives near there as well.

I definitely don't want any pretentious restaurant, nor even a very elegant restaurant. I hope this is enough information, as I find it hard to offer any more.

Mentioned in this post
Philadelphia
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
Rittenhouse Square
Rittenhouse Square
723 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,742 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants for New Year's Day

In the neighborhood:

Square on Square - Better than average Chinese in a modern setting. 1905 Chestnut

The Wok, Chinese Seafood, 1613 Walnut. I haven't been there in years, but I hear it is still very good.

Continental Midtown "Global Tapas"- a varied menu- bound to be something for everyone. 1801 Chestnut.

Can't think of a seafood place in the neighborhood, except maybe Sansom Street Oyster House (recently reopened).

Your friend likely has a favorite- why not leave it up to him/her?

Mentioned in this post
The Continental Midtown
The Continental Midtown
598 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants for New Year's Day

Devon Seafood Grille would be a good choice and is right on Rittenhouse Square. See this link.

www.devonseafood.com/home.aspx?location_id=96

Mentioned in this post
Devon Seafood Grill
Devon Seafood Grill
806 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Rittenhouse Square
Rittenhouse Square
723 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
952 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants for New Year's Day

For seafood in the Rittenhouse area, I like Seafood Unlimited. It's small, unpretentious, and reasonably priced. It also includes a small seafood market at the front of the space, so everything is very fresh. http://www.seafoodunlimited.com/index.htm

Mentioned in this post
The Rittenhouse Hotel
The Rittenhouse Hotel
868 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Seafood Unlimited
Seafood Unlimited
81 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Bucks County...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,742 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants for New Year's Day

I didn't know Seafood Unlimited is still there. Good news!

Mentioned in this post
Seafood Unlimited
Seafood Unlimited
81 Reviews
Philadelphia, PA
Le Marche, Italy
Level Contributor
37,725 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants for New Year's Day

Thanks very much to everyone! There are some good suggestions here, and I'll certainly consult my friend as well.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
2,635 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurants for New Year's Day

I like Devon as a suggestion. Location is stellar for your purposes and it has very good seafood and offers wine as well. A couple of places that came to mind immediately (Little Fish, Branzino) are BYOB, so I am guessing that won't work. The old Astral Plane (sniff, sniff) is now a seafood restaurant called Fish. I have not been yet, but it is supposed to be very good. Don't believe it is byob, which would also work for your purposes. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck.

Suzanne

10. Re: Restaurants for New Year's Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 June 2010, 13:16