We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for tour of NE Florida/Southern Georgia please

Scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
36 reviews
Advice for tour of NE Florida/Southern Georgia please

Hello, we are looking to be in Florida for 14 days in Sept, flying in and out of Orlando. However we are really keen to do some exploring whilst there and not simply spend the whole time in Orlando. Hoping for some advice about the itinerary please!

The stumbling blocks are that there are two items on our to-do list which have basically no flexibility with dates - Gainesville for football on either 9th or 16th Sept (Saturdays) and the Sally Corps tour in Jacksonville which only run on Tues and Thurs. I was thinking something along the lines of Orlando - Daytona Beach - St Augustine (stay overnight Wed) - Jacksonville (overnight Thurs) - possibly Brunswick (overnight Sat) - Gainesville (overnight Sat) - Orlando Sun am. Would be flying home on 18th. Totally flexible and very open to suggestions about where to go/where not to waste time visiting. Would want to leave somewhere in region of 7-10 days for Orlando.

Bit of background - not fussed for spending time on beaches, would rather see unique things eg local history and love just taking in typical towns and villages for each state. Bourbon/rye distilleries and microbreweries for beer suggestions welcome too!

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: Advice for tour of NE Florida/Southern Georgia please

Make hotel reservations now for either of the Gator games. The game on the 16th is against Tennessee so make sure you have tickets as they will be hard to come by and very expensive.

I recommend staying in a B&B in Fernandina Beach- just north of Jacksonville. Lovely area with great shopping and dining. Take a sunset cruise and make sure that you go up to St. Mary's and get the ferry to Cumberland Island National Park. Book ahead for the Land and Legacy tour- the only way to see most of the Island and all of the ruins. Spectacular place!

Many people love Savannah, Ga. beautiful city! I would stay here before going to Brunswick. Sea Island and Jekyll Island are also highly recommended areas to visit in South Georgia.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
19,080 posts
41 reviews
2. Re: Advice for tour of NE Florida/Southern Georgia please

"The stumbling blocks are that there are two items on our to-do list which have basically no flexibility with dates - Gainesville for football on either 9th or 16th Sept (Saturdays) "

PFootlocke beat me to it. Get your hotel reservations AND your Gator football tickets ASAP!

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
119 reviews
3. Re: Advice for tour of NE Florida/Southern Georgia please

Ha! Orlando Vic I'm going to the season opener between FSU/Bama and made my hotel reservations in Atlanta in January thinking I would have no problem finding a room near the new Mercedes Benz Stadium. Wrong! Just about everything was sold out and the two remaining hotels in downtown were over $400/night with a two night minimum. We are staying uptown and using MARTA to get to the stadium. Hoping the repairs to 85 are completed by then- that's our hotel exit!

Football is serious business down here- fans are always locked and loaded! Rooms and tickets are hard to come by unless you're willing to throw down some serious cash!

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
296 posts
24 reviews
4. Re: Advice for tour of NE Florida/Southern Georgia please

Sounds to me you're going to have fun no matter what you do! For tours/history suggestions in Jacksonville, I recommend: Sweet Pete's factory tour, Cummer Gallery and Gardens, Kingsley Plantation Historical Site, Jacksonville Zoo, The Catty Shack Ranch, Museum of Science and History. Microbreweries/Distilleries: Intuition Ale Works (tour), Manifest Distilling, Green Room, Aardwolf, Wicked Barley Brewery, St Augustine Distillery and tour.

Scotland
Level Contributor
13 posts
36 reviews
5. Re: Advice for tour of NE Florida/Southern Georgia please

Thank you ever so much for your replies, much appreciated.

Shortly after posting I started looking in more detail for accomodation and realised there was minimal availability in Gainesville, was so shocked to see it basically sold out at this stage! Anyway I booked a place on airbnb for the 9th Sept so that part at least is pencilled in.

A bit confused about tickets for the game, seem to be for sale on third party sites but not on official site. I've emailed them as not sure if it's simply too early or sold out.

Definitely keen to visit Savannah but a bit concerned that it's quite a long way to go just for the night. Are there more interesting routes to take in/out as really wouldn't want to go there and back on same road but couldn't see if any of the smaller roads had anything worth visiting en route. Oh, and plan now is basically the reverse of initial post but that's pretty irrelevant in grand scheme of things.

Apalachicola...
Level Contributor
3,514 posts
119 reviews
6. Re: Advice for tour of NE Florida/Southern Georgia please

The tickets are provided to boosters/season ticket holders/students first and a certain amount set aside for the opposing teams fans. Given that it's an unranked "cup cake team" it's unlikely that fans of Northern Colorado will travel across the country to watch their team slaughtered. So check their web site for tickets too. It's too early for the tickets (single game) to be released so find out when they will go on sale. The Gators have a loyal and strong following and it will be the first home game so it will be a sell out. If it were me I would go third party for the tickets as you may not be able to obtain the few remaining tickets that will be offered to the public.

7. Re: Advice for tour of NE Florida/Southern Georgia please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2018, 13:17
Get answers to your questions about Jacksonville