We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What are the generally safe areas or generally dangerous..

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
73 reviews
What are the generally safe areas or generally dangerous..

areas of Jax? I have international travelers who need to get from say Greyhound to Amtrak etc and wonder whether it's safe to walk. There's been a lot of publicity, even a movie about the Jax crime rate http://jacksonville.com/news/crime

I know the beach areas in general are safe and the southeast quadrant of Duval seems to be mostly nice subdivisions etc.

Yes I know crime can happen anywhere yadiyadiya (like those cyclists who got stabbed on that memorial day ride), I'm just asking for some straightforward info which I can pass on.

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
119 reviews
1. Re: What are the generally safe areas or generally dangerous..

Hi capn,

It's 6.11 miles from Greyhound to Amtrack and it is not a safe area to be walking through. Although Greyhound is on the periphery of a "safe" area, there are a lot of nefarious individuals hanging out in and around there even in the daytime. I haven't seen the Amtrack station. Tell your friends to take a taxi.

Spirit

Edited: 02 June 2010, 00:15
Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
335 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: What are the generally safe areas or generally dangerous..

I agree, I would not walk from Greyhound to Amtrak. During the middle of the day they might be fine but I wouldn't dare as it gets darker in the evening. A taxi should not cost much.

To me the most "dangerous" areas of Jacksonville would be Springfield (inner city), most of the Northside and Westside of Jacksonville and parts of the Arlington (Eastside) area.

Other than that most other areas are safer though like you said crime can happen anywhere. I feel safest in the Southside and Beaches areas.

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
73 reviews
3. Re: What are the generally safe areas or generally dangerous..

Hi Spirit, thanks. It's what I thought but wasn't sure. I told them about the distance, but Europeans are usually inured to walking long distances. Any idea where I can find some generalizations about other areas of Jax? If you're not from a city you don't know where not to go....

st augustine, fl
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
73 reviews
4. Re: What are the generally safe areas or generally dangerous..

thanks 3shiny, what part is considered springfield? bordering streets, i guess. I've been to the veterans' arena, and to get there you pretty much drive through an area with 'bail bonds' everywhere, so the jail must be close by...Downtown to the river...generally pretty good though?

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
335 posts
55 reviews
5. Re: What are the generally safe areas or generally dangerous..

Springfield is north of downtown - to the north of Union Street. Jacksonville has tried revitalizing this area because it's a historic area but it was run down by home robberies and other crimes. I am not sure of the street names it borders but I believe it's basically from Hogan's Creek to the railroad. It's possible you may have passed near it going to the Veteran's Arena depending how you got there. Yes, the Police Station/Jail is near the Veteran's Arena too. I think the downtown area around the river is safe during the day because there are many businesses open and many people from all over town walking around. I am not afraid there during the day. At night I would just stick close to The Jacksonville Landing (Independent Drive) area because again there are more people and businesses open.

6. Re: What are the generally safe areas or generally dangerous..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 November 2010, 15:33
Get answers to your questions about Jacksonville