We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

Key West, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Topic
Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

BEWARE! Dollar now charges a $15.00 reservation change fee to those that are not members of Dollar Express, should you find yourself changing your reservation less than 24 hours of your scheduled reservation. You won't find it listed in FAQ on their website, so be careful. This happened to me at the Jacksonville, FL airport, even though I asked the agent if my rate would change, which he assured me it would not.... They also require proof of refueling within 10 miles of airport, or they will charge you lots more...

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,399 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

I have heard tales in the Orlando forum, the insurance is declined, but then the agent circles the place to sign that says you Want the insurance instead.

Not matter how tired you must read all the contract (which is even harder now they have it on screen).

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

This has been a known problem with Dollar for some time - do a web search on "dollar rental insurance scam" and you will see numerous news reports about this from all over the country (too many and too wide spread to be pure coincidence, IMO). They were actually sued last year in Colorado over this very issue, and are currently under investigation by the Florida Attorney General's office.

The best strategy to avoid problems like this (aside from not using the company in the first place) is not to give them the opportunity to upsell you to begin with. There is usually no reason to stop at the rental counter at a large airport, since many car rental agencies have loyalty programs that allow you to bypass the counter by providing all your info up front (including vehicle preferences, payment options, insurance choices, etc). Hertz, National, and Thrifty for sure have this kind of program, and I'm sure a lot of other companies do as well. Best of all, the programs are free - just sign up on-line at the company's website.

I have not stopped at a rental counter at a larger airport in years. They have all my info on file (including the fact that I decline extra insurance), so no haggling with the rental agent over unnecessary fees. In most cases, I walk directly to the vehicle and drive straight off the lot, and the only person I ever talk to is the attendant at the exit (whose only job is to verify my driver's license before sending me on my way).

No hassle, no arguing, no delays - I personally would not rent a car any other way,

-JimG

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
48,399 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

Dollar has this option too, which is why I never go to the desk, but straight to the garage

New York
Level Contributor
28 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

My sister rented a car from them recently. While in FL, she fell and broke her foot. She called to see if they could pick up the car since she can't drive with her broken foot and they refused. They are now telling her to pay for a tow from a city an hour away to return the vehicle. She's got a broken foot, her visit was impacted because of the broken foot, and now Dollar won't do the right thing by sending someone to pick up the vehicle??? What kind of customer service is that? Non existent. Needless to say, I will never ever rent a vehicle with Dollar because of this.

J L
Florida
1 post
Save Reply
15. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

I bought a travel package from Orbitz and got paid for a car, hotel, and plane ticket. When I bought the package on-line, I paid for a car upgrade and insurance. First of all, when I went to Dollar to pick up my car they tried to sell me their insurance instead. I declined... why pay for insurance twice? Second of all, they made me give them my Card in order to pick up my card. Then, they told me to choose between two cards, never indicated one cost an additional cost. They then asked me if I wanted a GPS, which they said was free. So, I choose my car and got a GPS from them. It turns out, the GPS was set to Spanish, which I don't speak so it was useless and I got lost in Jax. When I got home, I saw that I had charges on my Card. They never said anything about extra charges when I picked up or dropped off the car at Dollar. When I called them, they said they were charging me for the Spanish GPS system and for the car upgrade. Again, I already paid for the car upgrade when I rent the car via Orbitz. And, they never told me that there would be an additional upgrade fee when I chose between two cars. This company is totally deceptive. They tell you things are free and then they charge you. In my case, they waited until I could not speak to them in person to charge me. I will never rent from this Dollar branch and probably not even from this company again.

Hobart, Indiana
2 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

Get yourself a credit card that offers rental insurance as a benefit. Make sure you use this card for the reservation and the final payment no matter who the rental company is. If you have a problem later dispute it with the credit card company. It should save you from having to make a special trip to resolve issues.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,521 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

That's a good point. I think you can dispute any credit card charge whether it has rental insurance or not.

Vicki

Miamisburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
1 post
42 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

We had a horrible experience with Dollar rental car at JAX. Got an incredible rate for a full size at dollar.com. When picking up the vehicle, the agent was really pushy in offering us an upgrade to standard SUV for only $7.00 per day. She even told us she was giving us an extra driver for free. I explained that was not needed as my husband had a broken right arm and I would be the only one driving. She insisted anyhow. We prepaid for a full tank of fuel. We left the airport and upon entering 95, noticed the tank was on 3/4. We immediately called Dollar customer service who told me to stop and fill up and when turning the car in, present the fuel receipt for credit. Later that day, we realized that this SUV had mechanical problems and when driving at lower speeds, it would make a rumbling noise and jerk as if it were not getting enough gas. There was also a leak in one of the tires. I again called customer service who had no record of my previous call. I informed them of the gas situation and mechanical problems with the car. I was told if I felt the car was unsafe, I could exchange it at a location 84 miles away. We did not take time out of our vacation to exchange the car 84 miles away and when turning in the car, they stated they had no record of mechanical problems for the car and refused to reimburse us for the gas because there was no record of the call immediately after picking the car up. I called again after returning home and again was told there was no record of our mechanical problems with the car. I am guessing the car was immediately turned over to another renter. Needless to say, we will not be renting from Dollar again.

Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

I wish I had seen this post a few days ago.... I unfortunately was bullied into the insurance - I arrived late into Jax for a funeral and was scammed the agent claimed that was just the price ( double my quote) pressed for time I signed and ran. I will never rent from this company again & will not let anyone I know rent from them either. How you can scam someone on their way to a funeral is beyond me..... That's a really NASTY way to do business .

20. Re: Dollar Rent a Car- Jacksonville Airport BEWARE!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2016, 14:18