We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

Hi,

I'm planning a road trip and I was wondering if someone can elucidate me on the difference between Canaveral National Seashore and Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve - it seems both have got beaches as well as archeological shell mounds by Native Americans. But Timulcan has a campground within a state park it encompasses, and it also has a plantation relic.

Are their beaches and nature very similar? What are the differences? If you have to choose one, which one would you go to and why? If you don't have a lot of time, is it worth going to both of these places? Can we see sea turtles in Timulcan beaches?

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
21. Re: Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

Scott d and BlueRusso - ha! This is so cool! Thanks! :)

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,872 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

Best wishes with the trip. I was in Tallahassee over the weekend and was impressed by the big, lush trees. As you go south in Florida, trees get smaller.

One thing to look for on Fort George Island is a road lined by cabbage palms (Sabal palmetto) at regular intervals. Those palms were planted in the 1800s. The date may have been figured out by now, but whatever the date, they've clearly grown slowly.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
23. Re: Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

Hi thanks BlueRusso for the well wishes for our trip. I just saw this. TripAdviser seem to be random in sending me notifications even though I tick off "get notified."

I will be definitely looking out for the cabbage palms. I looked this up on Google and they told me the palms grow to be 30'. I'm looking forward to see how slowly they grew on Fort George Island!

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,872 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

Cabbage palms are remarkable. They're cold tolerant by palm standards, extremely wind resistant, survive fires that turn their tops into torches (perhaps, down here, at the expense of strangler figs that tend to get started in the crowns), host lots of wildlife, including woodpeckers that drill holes, and can live long. A tree dug from the wild and planted for landscaping may be 80-100 years old.

Timucuan has a few more or less tropical shrubs, especially Psychotria nervosa, wild coffee, which becomes very common to the south.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
25. Re: Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

Wow! Wild coffee! That sounds so wonderful!

...predictably I am wondering whether we can roast and make a cup....ah I just checked: the fruits come in Dec-March ... hmmm too bad! But I will definitely be on the lookout for those trees while in the park. I wonder a leaf will smell like coffee :D

Edited: 03 June 2015, 22:12
Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,872 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

The plants have caffeine, they're in the same family as coffee (which is from the region of Ethiopia), but not usable as a coffee substitute. But good for hedges.

Binghamton, New York
Level Contributor
253 posts
1 review
Save Reply
27. Re: Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

I'm all about curiosity. I wonder if it's possible to cultivate the wild coffee plant so we can have made in the US local coffee (no GM, but thru old-fashioned cultivation) .. that would be awesome.

Any other interesting tropical/subtropical fruits in the region or summer is a rainy season and most plants fruit in winter time? (I may be a bit off here, forgive me if I am)

Vero Beach, Florida
Destination Expert
for Vero Beach
Level Contributor
8,872 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

Coffee is a tropical highlands tree that tolerates neither Florida's summer heat nor its winter cold. It thrives in the mountains of Puerto Rico, Cuba, much of Central America and of course Colombia. I can't figure out Brazil's coffee climate.

Almost nothing tropical grows in the Jacksonville area, which has freezing temperatures every year. The exceptions are mostly plants that can freeze to the ground and resprout, like the coral bean, Erythrina herbacea.

29. Re: Canaveral NS vs. Timulcan Ecological & Historical Preserve

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2016, 14:17