We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacksonville to Port Canaveral

Columbia SC
Level Contributor
40 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Jacksonville to Port Canaveral

Well, we thought we would be smart and save on airline tickets for our family cruise in December, but are finding that transportation to Port Canaveral is not going to save us any money in the long run. Our airline tickets are purchased and we need to find a reasonable way to get 12 people from JAX to Port Canaveral FL. Our cruise is Dec. 26 and returning Jan. 2 2016. Flight is getting in 10:47 am - the cruise is leaving @ 4 pm. Any suggestions would be much appreciated and I already know it was not the smartest way to go.

Ponte Vedra Beach...
Level Contributor
832 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jacksonville to Port Canaveral

I don't think there are any shuttles from JAX to Port Canaveral. I think your best bet is probably renting cars. You'd need 2 - maybe 3 - depending on the size of the rental vehicles. Also get a quote from Carey Transportation. It's pretty much the largest most reputable car service here (although I'm sure it's not the cheapest). You'll have to phone. It will only quote 10 passenger vehicles max on its web site. But it has larger vehicles.

What time do you have to be on the boat? It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive from JAX to Port Canaveral without traffic. Traffic isn't usually bad here. But day after Christmas on I-95 - who knows? And it will probably take you an hour or so to collect your bags - get a rental car - hit the road - etc. Robyn

I think some of your decision depends on who's going on the trip. If it's 12 singles and you can split the cost of a van cost 12 ways - that's one thing. If it's you and your husband and your 10 kids - that's another.

Altamonte Springs...
Destination Expert
for St. Augustine
Level Contributor
16,887 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jacksonville to Port Canaveral

I would agree that renting 2-3 vehicles is probably your best bet. Consider switching your flights to the previous day. You have little breathing room in case there is a delay, accident enroute, flat tire, etc.I know there will be a change fee for each person but I, personally, would feel very uncomfortable trying to cut things that closely.

Columbia SC
Level Contributor
40 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jacksonville to Port Canaveral

I would have done that but there were a few that wanted to spend Christmas day with the other side of the family, so ended up opting for the morning of the cruise at the earliest possible time. Got a quote from Carey Transportation, but a little on the pricey side - might have to be the way we go. Still working on it. Thx for reply.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
208 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jacksonville to Port Canaveral

Call Enterprise car rental and get a 15 passenger van, hopefully they can pick you up at the airport. Although your cruise leave at 4 you must be on board 1 to 2 hours before departure. Hopefully there will not be any delays with your flight. The other suggestion is to drive from Columbia leaving at 3 or 4 am and use the flight money for another trip. I hope everything work out for your family.

Columbia SC
Level Contributor
40 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jacksonville to Port Canaveral

thank you for the reply - the 15 passenger vans are all booked. We talked to our local Enterprise dealer and they suggested to wait until we are closer to the date to see if the vans open up and then we can rent one from Columbia. Still working on it, but appreciate everyone's comments.

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
208 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jacksonville to Port Canaveral

Good luck, when you return from your cruise, let us know about your experience.

7. Re: Jacksonville to Port Canaveral

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2016, 12:17