We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2017 Players Championship - Accomodation advice please!!!

Cairns Region...
7 posts
Save Topic
2017 Players Championship - Accomodation advice please!!!

Hi, my husband and I are travelling to Florida next year for The Players and would love some information from locals, or others who have attended this event previously.

We will fly into JAX on Friday, and have tickets for Saturday & Sunday competition. We are looking for advice on accomodation, specifically best location (aside from Ponte Vedra) which is both affordable, and convenient, as well as any other tips and info to help us out. This is the start of a month long holiday for his 40th birthday.

Ideally we would like to be close to restaurants etc for after the golf as well. We will have a hire car, but after reading about the heavy traffic I think I would prefer shuttles or other transport.

Has anyone used the shuttle service from downtown Jacksonville? I have also contacted JaxBlack Car service as well. Is the shuttle service only from downtown Jacksonville, or are there others?

Thanks!

Limerick, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 2017 Players Championship - Accomodation advice please!!!

Use google maps to see hotels close to Sawgrass village in Ponte Vedra FL

Once you've decided on the hotel book it a s a p.

Jacksonville, FL
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
5,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2017 Players Championship - Accomodation advice please!!!

Hi there,

Can you tell us what your idea of "affordable" is? That is hugely subjective, so if you could give us the approximate budget per night, we could make some suggestions.

I have not taken the shuttle from Downtown Jacksonville, but with the shuttles at the venue, you would actually be fine taking your rental car.

Also, if you have time, visit the World Golf Village - it's about 30-40 minutes from Jacksonville and a must see for golf enthusiasts.

Enjoy!

Vicki

Neptune Beach, FL
Level Contributor
3,542 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2017 Players Championship - Accomodation advice please!!!

Saint Augustine could be a nice place to stay! It's the next town south of the golf course.

St. Augustine...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville, Saint Augustine Beach
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2017 Players Championship - Accomodation advice please!!!

Also, don't forget to check Airbnb, its becoming more popular and you may find something close that isn't as expensive. I think the suggestion for St. Augustine is a great one. We've noticed when leaving the tournament that there is less traffic heading that way (down A1A) than other directions (towards Jax beach or downtown).

I also agree with the other poster, if you find a hotel in your price range...book it immediately. I had absolutely no trouble booking rooms for family at the Candlewood Suites for an extended stay a couple of years ago. It did take them a while to get to the course but not horrible (the traffic on 295 is always bad if you ask me).

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
296 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2017 Players Championship - Accomodation advice please!!!

I'd suggest staying in Jacksonville Beach, Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach or St. Augustine so that you will be convenient to the beach, restaurants etc. Definitely look into Airbnb for accommodation and book early. The previous poster was correct that traffic to the Players from the south is not as bad. Either way, you will have a great time. It is a beautiful venue and every year it gets better and better.

Edited: 17 October 2016, 21:53
Broomall...
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2017 Players Championship - Accomodation advice please!!!

This is a little late, but a little more advice... most vacation rentals will require a full week's stay, usually at the price of a month's rent. Our home is already booked for 2018 (May 2017). The Marriott, the Ponte Vedra Inn and Club and the Hilton Garden Inn are probably already booked as well.

There are plenty of Vacation Rentals in the area. Check them out at least a year in advance.

Jacksonville...
Destination Expert
for Jacksonville
Level Contributor
296 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2017 Players Championship - Accomodation advice please!!!

To answer your shuttle question, I have recently learned that Uber is the preferred ride sharing partner of The Players this year. More info on this link: pgatour.com/tournaments/the-players-champion…

8. Re: 2017 Players Championship - Accomodation advice please!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2018, 12:18
Get answers to your questions about Jacksonville