We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Topic
How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?

I am thinking of booking a trip to Savannah from Nov. 4-8, but just noticed that this coincides with the Food and Wine Festival. I would like to stay in the historic district, which appears to be where many of the festival events are taking place. This will be an adult (mother-daughter) trip and will represent our first visit to Savannah. My question is - how will the festival affect crowds at major attractions and restaurants? I haven’t read much about it yet, but I am not sure we would be particularly interested in the festival events. Should we plan on making our first visit for another time? This is the only time we have available in November. The next opportunity for a trip would be Easter week or during the summer. Thanks.

Best Seller
Savannah Hop-on Hop-off Trolley Tour
217 Reviews
from US$33.00*
Savannah Culinary and Cultural...
368 Reviews
from US$53.95*
Best Seller
Savannah Riverboat Cruises
1,088 Reviews
from US$27.50*
8 replies to this topic
Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?

Nov. is a great month to visit. Temperatures are great. No problem with attractions but I would make reservations for higher end restaurants.

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?

Thanks. Good to know that crowds will not impact my plans. I will heed your advice with regard to restaurants.

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,762 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?

The big impact in November is the marathon, which will be the preceding days.

This festival won't bring in significant numbers that would impact the city.

Savannah,GA
Destination Expert
for Savannah
Level Contributor
4,629 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?

Most, but not all, local restaurants have local shrimp. In my experience the best shrimp in the world. So do try some. Steamed or shrimp&grits I like them any way you cook them. Maybe in the Paella at the River House Seafood restaurant. Full of crab, shrimp, clams, chicken and grouper. Very good restaurant in all their food. Vinnie van GoGo's for Savannah's best pizza and people watching at City Market. The Shrimp Factory on River Street has local shrimp in so many ways. We have a good Cuban restaurant as well Thai and Italian. Or real smoked BBQ ribs, brisket, pulled pork and all home made sides at B's Cracklin' BBQ at 12409 White Bluff Rd. 20 minutes from the HD on the Trumen Parkway. For lunch day time BBQ take out Muncheis at 2110 Montgomery St.

It's all good there. Ribs, chicken, lamb, crab/shrimp rice, home made sides like M&C, collard greens, beans.

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?

Onemoreroad– I see the marathon is scheduled from Nov. 3-4. Do many people come for the marathon and stay on to enjoy the sights or do they tend to clear out right after the event?. BTW – hello again – I recognize your name from the Yellowstone forum!

Savannah Bruce – I read your response as I was cooking dinner and it made my mouth water! I love seafood. It all sounds wonderful! Thanks for the recommendations!

Georgia
Destination Expert
for Atlanta, Savannah
Level Contributor
18,762 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?

Hotels will be harder to book before the marathon. Folks really need to stay in or close by for early morning start. It's the second busiest after St Patrick's Day. Whether some stay or not won't really be that big of an impact. Savannah has pretty steady hotel capacity all year round. Good weather all year round is a big plus.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?

The festival primarily draws visitors Thursday, November 9 - Sunday, November 11 - you should be just fine!

Bayonne, New Jersey
Level Contributor
167 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?

Thanks I will stick with my dates.

Reply to: How Will Food & Wine Festival Affect Crowds?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted