We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highway Traffic on Thanksgiving - FL to GA

south florida
Level Contributor
198 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Highway Traffic on Thanksgiving - FL to GA

Hey there,

We were considering Savannah as a last minute destination for Thanksgiving, driving up for So Fla eary Thursday and coming home Sunday. Any experience with the traffic on this route? We've passed that way once around Thanksgiving, and the traffic was AWFUL. But I can't remember the exact days. Any ideas??

thnx!

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highway Traffic on Thanksgiving - FL to GA

The past several years I have made the trip from Savannah To daytona at Thanksgiving. I have drove it on Thursday afternoon or early Friday morning. The traffic is usually pretty heavy but I have never had any problems going down to Daytona.

The trip coming back can be a different story. It is much worst Sunday in both directions. I allways thought that half of Florida goes north for thanksgiving and everyone up north goes to Orlando to see Mickey.

Also keep in mind that there is a very big car/hot rod show in Daytona Thursday through Sunday so traffic will be worst at I-4 and I-95 and the exit north of there.

John

Mentioned in this post
Savannah
Savannah
Georgia Coast, GA
Florida
Florida
United States
Orlando
Orlando
Central Florida, FL
south florida
Level Contributor
198 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Highway Traffic on Thanksgiving - FL to GA

Thanks for the info!! We had actually considered just coming home late Saturday night, to avoid Sunday traffic. We would be driving Thanksgiving morning, but I was kinda hoping most of the long distance travellers would have been on the road on Wednesday.

And good info about this car show... had no idea!

Savannah, Ga
Destination Expert
for Cherokee, Tybee Island
Level Contributor
1,470 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highway Traffic on Thanksgiving - FL to GA

When I went down on Thanksgiving day the traffic was not that bad. It seems that most people travell the day before.

The car show at Daytona is at the race track. They will have about 5000 show cars at the track. There will be a lot more that does not even go to the track. They will cruise up and down A1A. Do a web search for "Turkey Rod Run" for any more information. Motel/hotels are hard to find in Daytona for the weekend. Now 15 miles north of the track you can get a room cheap.

John

Mentioned in this post
4. Re: Highway Traffic on Thanksgiving - FL to GA

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2010, 13:19