We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Savannah, Beaufort, Charleston

Which Savannah hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Savannah, Beaufort, Charleston

My husband and I (in our early 60’s) got back from our wonderful week-long trip. We flew into Charleston from New Jersey (Newark) about 11:30 am on Wed., rented a car at Advantage and drove to Savannah by late afternoon. I was SO HAPPY we decided to splurge and stay for the first 2 nights in The Marshall House. (Our travel agent booked it for us a few months ago and it was $164, incl 13% tax per night plus $15 parking). It was a wonderful bed and breakfast inn right in the heart of the historic district (and was even pointed out on our trolley tour!). They were so warm and friendly and the concierge, Brandt, was so enthusiastic and helpful. The wine and cheese receptions they offer between 5:30 and 7:00 pm were so nice, too. Day 1: we walked around a lot - first to and around the waterfront areas, back to Marshall for wine and cheese, and then to The Marketplace to find a place for dinner. We ate outdoors at Annas, which was very good. Day 2: Breakfast at The Marshall House was terrific - Quiches, fresh fruit salads, big muffins, biscuits, and more, and such a pretty room. We took an Oglethorpe open trolley tour, which was very informative and a quick way to see and get a feel for the city. After lunch, we walked all around the squares, enjoying the beauty and history. We didn’t realize that the historical houses close at 4:00, so we did that the next day. Tonight we decided to catch the show at the Savannah Theatre, “The Beat Goes On”, which was a fabulous revue of all kinds of music from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. The 3 guys and 3 gals did such a fantastic job singing and dancing, etc. Definitely glad we went! (a little discount when we mentioned we were at The Marshall House)

Day 3: Even though we had to check out at 11 am. the Inn was gracious about letting us keep our luggage and car there til we left - after 5 pm. We walked to the Green-Meldrim House, which is where Gen. Sherman stayed during the Civil War. VERY interesting and beautiful home. The tour guide was great there! Recommended. We had a delicious lunch at a fun place called The Mellow Mushroom. Then I went to The Mercer House for the tour. It was interesting, but a little disappointing, as the guide seemed like she had to rush to get done in time and mostly rattled off names of objects and what they were made of, rather than what it might have felt like to be there, like at the other house. Also, I read the book “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” and she didn’t really even talk about any of it. When we finally left the Inn, we made an out-of-the-way stop to Bonaventure Cemetary, which was pretty. We didn’t stay long as it was late, just enough time to walk around a bit and take some photos. There must be special areas to go that we didn’t know about. Then we drove about an hour to Beaufort and St. Helena’s Island, where we were staying. We stayed at the Country Hearth Inn for one night (only $61/ngt). Day 4: Now it was not anything fancy at all, but certainly adequate. The desk girl at night when we arrived was so helpful and friendly, looking up and printing out all this info for us. In the morning I got some coffee and fruit in the office and again, found the folks in the office to be SO FRIENDLY! We had the nicest chat, while I was waiting for my husband. Then, off to historic Beaufort. It called for rain, but we managed to take a carriage ride with Desiree ($18 with Sea Island Carriage Co.). She was wonderful and we loved the tour of the town! Had lunch at Plum which we loved. During lunch it poured raining so we had to miss the Beaufort River Tour with “Prince of Tides” where dolphins supposedly follow the boat. :-( We did go to the small Visitor’s Center where we had the most interesting conversation with the African American “hostess” who discovered that her great grandfather fought in the Civil War! Then to a African American art gallery reception nearby. Everybody is so warm and friendly! Okay... on to Charleston! Arrived about 7 pm at the Comfort Inn on Bee St. Went to the nearby restaurant - Hominy Grill for dinner. Good southern cooking.

Day 5: This was the day I got a terrible stomach bug (I’m almost certain it was not from the dinner last night) and was in my hotel room all day. UGH! Day 6: Well, The Comfort Inn is really a beautiful big hotel near the highway and a short drive to the historic district, but, for me, it was so exciting to BE in the historic district in Savannah. But in Charleston - way too expensive for us. At the C.I. it totaled $476 for 4 nights, including parking and the buffet breakfast! Since I still was a bit weak and tired, we drove to the huge visitor’s center and just kept our car there til about 9 pm (it max’s at $12). We ended up taking a City Line bus “historic tour” of the city, which was nice and then took the ferry out to Ft. Sumter. Beautiful and relaxing ferry ride. The Fort is pretty interesting, esp. for my husband. We got back to the V.C. about 5:30 but left the car and took the free trolley to Market St. We wandered through the Market as it was closing and ended up eating dinner at SNOB (Slightly North of Broad). We ate at the bar so we wouldn’t have to wait 90 minutes for a table! Recommended! Got the veggie plate (still being careful) of a variety of locally grown vegetables. Plentiful and very good! Walked some more and found the bus stop for the free trolley ride. Day 6: Our last day. Couldn’t wait to see Magnolia Plantation, but first, Drayton Hall. Beautiful lush grounds and interesting tour of the home. Fascinating history! On to Magnolia Plantation in the afternoon. First we watched the 20 minute introductory film, which is definitely worthwhile. We then opted to go to the “Slavery to Freedom” tour and the “Nature Train” tour. Both were good, but my favorite thing was afterwards, taking the self-guided tour through the gardens. I would do that first, next time. SO GORGEOUS!

Azaleas everywhere!! The bridge and reflections and statues! Everything was a photo! And I probably took way too many! Loved it!! Finally, we drove to the historic district about 6:00 and ate dinner at Sticky Fingers Smokehouse. Loved the ribs and the place is really comfortable and fun. Our waitress was so friendly. With a coupon, get a free peach cobbler for dessert. We walked around the streets afterwards and saw such interesting homes and architecture. Wish I didn’t lose a day. Must go back!! Sorry this is so long. Thanks to those of you who wrote to me when I just got to Charleston.

My husband and I (in our early 60’s) got back from our wonderful week-long trip. We flew into Charleston from New Jersey (Newark) about 11:30 am on Wed., rented a car at Advantage and drove to Savannah by late afternoon. I was SO HAPPY we decided to splurge and stay for the first 2 nights in The Marshall House. (Our travel agent booked it for us a few months ago and it was $164, incl 13% tax per night plus $15 parking). It was a wonderful bed and breakfast inn right in the heart of the historic district (and was even pointed out on our trolley tour!). They were so warm and friendly and the concierge, Brandt, was so enthusiastic and helpful. The wine and cheese receptions they offer between 5:30 and 7:00 pm were so nice, too. Day 1: we walked around a lot - first to and around the waterfront areas, back to Marshall for wine and cheese, and then to The Marketplace to find a place for dinner. We ate outdoors at Annas, which was very good. Day 2: Breakfast at The Marshall House was terrific - Quiches, fresh fruit salads, big muffins, biscuits, and more, and such a pretty room. We took an Oglethorpe open trolley tour, which was very informative and a quick way to see and get a feel for the city. After lunch, we walked all around the squares, enjoying the beauty and history. We didn’t realize that the historical houses close at 4:00, so we did that the next day. Tonight we decided to catch the show at the Savannah Theatre, “The Beat Goes On”, which was a fabulous revue of all kinds of music from the 60’s, 70’s and 80’s. The 3 guys and 3 gals did such a fantastic job singing and dancing, etc. Definitely glad we went! (a little discount when we mentioned we were at The Marshall House)

Day 3: Even though we had to check out at 11 am. the Inn was gracious about letting us keep our luggage and car there til we left - after 5 pm. We walked to the Green-Meldrim House, which is where Gen. Sherman stayed during the Civil War. VERY interesting and beautiful home. The tour guide was great there! Recommended. We had a delicious lunch at a fun place called The Mellow Mushroom. Then I went to The Mercer House for the tour. It was interesting, but a little disappointing, as the guide seemed like she had to rush to get done in time and mostly rattled off names of objects and what they were made of, rather than what it might have felt like to be there, like at the other house. Also, I read the book “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil” and she didn’t really even talk about any of it. When we finally left the Inn, we made an out-of-the-way stop to Bonaventure Cemetary, which was pretty. We didn’t stay long as it was late, just enough time to walk around a bit and take some photos. There must be special areas to go that we didn’t know about. Then we drove about an hour to Beaufort and St. Helena’s Island, where we were staying. We stayed at the Country Hearth Inn for one night (only $61/ngt). Day 4: Now it was not anything fancy at all, but certainly adequate. The desk girl at night when we arrived was so helpful and friendly, looking up and printing out all this info for us. In the morning I got some coffee and fruit in the office and again, found the folks in the office to be SO FRIENDLY! We had the nicest chat, while I was waiting for my husband. Then, off to historic Beaufort. It called for rain, but we managed to take a carriage ride with Desiree ($18 with Sea Island Carriage Co.). She was wonderful and we loved the tour of the town! Had lunch at Plum which we loved. During lunch it poured raining so we had to miss the Beaufort River Tour with “Prince of Tides” where dolphins supposedly follow the boat. :-( We did go to the small Visitor’s Center where we had the most interesting conversation with the African American “hostess” who discovered that her great grandfather fought in the Civil War! Then to a African American art gallery reception nearby. Everybody is so warm and friendly! Okay... on to Charleston! Arrived about 7 pm at the Comfort Inn on Bee St. Went to the nearby restaurant - Hominy Grill for dinner. Good southern cooking.

Day 5: This was the day I got a terrible stomach bug (I’m almost certain it was not from the dinner last night) and was in my hotel room all day. UGH! Day 6: Well, The Comfort Inn is really a beautiful big hotel near the highway and a short drive to the historic district, but, for me, it was so exciting to BE in the historic district in Savannah. But in Charleston - way too expensive for us. At the C.I. it totaled $476 for 4 nights, including parking and the buffet breakfast! Since I still was a bit weak and tired, we drove to the huge visitor’s center and just kept our car there til about 9 pm (it max’s at $12). We ended up taking a City Line bus “historic tour” of the city, which was nice and then took the ferry out to Ft. Sumter. Beautiful and relaxing ferry ride. The Fort is pretty interesting, esp. for my husband. We got back to the V.C. about 5:30 but left the car and took the free trolley to Market St. We wandered through the Market as it was closing and ended up eating dinner at SNOB (Slightly North of Broad). We ate at the bar so we wouldn’t have to wait 90 minutes for a table! Recommended! Got the veggie plate (still being careful) of a variety of locally grown vegetables. Plentiful and very good! Walked some more and found the bus stop for the free trolley ride. Day 6: Our last day. Couldn’t wait to see Magnolia Plantation, but first, Drayton Hall. Beautiful lush grounds and interesting tour of the home. Fascinating history! On to Magnolia Plantation in the afternoon. First we watched the 20 minute introductory film, which is definitely worthwhile. We then opted to go to the “Slavery to Freedom” tour and the “Nature Train” tour. Both were good, but my favorite thing was afterwards, taking the self-guided tour through the gardens. I would do that first, next time. SO GORGEOUS!

Azaleas everywhere!! The bridge and reflections and statues! Everything was a photo! And I probably took way too many! Loved it!! Finally, we drove to the historic district about 6:00 and ate dinner at Sticky Fingers Smokehouse. Loved the ribs and the place is really comfortable and fun. Our waitress was so friendly. With a coupon, get a free peach cobbler for dessert. We walked around the streets afterwards and saw such interesting homes and architecture. Wish I didn’t lose a day. Must go back!! Sorry this is so long. Thanks to those of you who wrote to me when I just got to Charleston.

Mississippi
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Savannah, Beaufort, Charleston

Thanks for your kind TR. It was a lot of fun reading about your trip. Come back and visit again soon. Good luck.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
30 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Savannah, Beaufort, Charleston

Thanks! Can't believe this report printed up twice!! Wonder how that happened?

Decatur, GA
Destination Expert
for Atlanta
Level Contributor
5,440 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Savannah, Beaufort, Charleston

Actually 3 times.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
26,934 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Savannah, Beaufort, Charleston

Shellpaint.............enjoyed reading your review.......................although I haven't been to Savannah and Charleston for quite some time,I was there at the same time of year as you were, and I remember vividly how beautiful all the azaleas and rhodos were.........................

Wilkesboro, North...
Level Contributor
2,101 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Savannah, Beaufort, Charleston

Great trip report and hope you're feeling better now.

6. Re: Trip Report - Savannah, Beaufort, Charleston

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2013, 17:25