We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas Day

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
35 posts
196 reviews
Save Topic
Christmas Day

My husband and I just decided to go away for Christmas. We spent two days in Gatlinburg in early September and we are considering coming back.

Will restaurants be open on Christmas Day? If yes, what recommendations do you have.

Also... we are considering renting a cabin. Where should I start?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Oxford
Level Contributor
6 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christmas Day

We are renting a cabin from Jackson Mountain Homes. Great cabin, and very clean. As far as the restaurants go, I'm not sure if they are open on Christmas day. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
1,870 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christmas Day

Hubby and I have stayed over Christmas quite a bit. You will find restaurants open on Christmas Day. Almost all of the breakfast places are open in the morning. Mainly in the Pigeon Forge area. You'll have a harder time finding lunch because most of the restaurants open only for dinner. We've eaten at Cherokee Grill on Christmas Day before. I'd give a call to several restaurants that interest you. We rent every year from auntiebelhams.com. They are the best. It's gonna be a little hard finding a cabin for Christmas now. Most everything is already booked. If you're not having luck at one of the cabin rental places, then look on vrbo.com. There are still some cabins available on there. Good luck on your cabin search and have loads of fun.

Edited: 16 November 2015, 23:14
Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Cherokee Grill
Cherokee Grill
3,454 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Christmas Day

I'd expect there will be many restaurants open on Christmas Day given the large number of tourists in the area that time of year.

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Sevierville, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountains National Park
Level Contributor
5,211 posts
337 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Christmas Day

The last time we were there on Christmas Day there were a few shops on the strip open and a few in Pigeon Forge open. Most restaurants will be open around 11:00am or around 5:00pm.

Ober Gatlinburg, Wonderwoks and Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies is open on Christmas Day. I think there were even some shows open.

The Smoky Mountain National Park is open 24/7, but the vistors centers will be closed.

The last 2 times we rented a cabin we used VRBO. I would recommend searching there first and then the other companies on the website listed below.

http://www.gatlinburg.com/lodging/

Mentioned in this post
Pigeon Forge
Pigeon Forge
Sevier County, TN
Gatlinburg
Gatlinburg
Sevier County, TN
Ripley's Aquarium of the Smokies
Ripley's Aquarium of the...
12,702 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Smoky Mountain Cabins
Smoky Mountain Cabins
76 Reviews
Gatlinburg, TN
Columbus, Ohio
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christmas Day

In addition to visitors centers, Roaring Fork and the road to Clingman's Dome will be closed in December.

I'd probably check websites or phone before visiting a restaurant or other attraction, just to be sure. Since it's a tourist area I'm sure many places will be open.

Paris, Tn
Destination Expert
for Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge
Level Contributor
3,034 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Christmas Day

We've never been in the Gal/burg area over the Christmas/New Years day holidays. (but we HAVE been there during the whole month of November, at various years) You may find it a bit difficult renting a cabin this close to the dates you wanted. Plus, you can expect to pay "premium season rates". Whenever we rent a cabin, we stay in either the "Townsend" or the "Wears Valley" area....both are among the most desirable areas to rent from. Some of the rental companies we've rented from are "cabins4you", "volunteer cabins", "smokey mountain cabin rental" and "V.R.B.O.". (Vacation Rental By Owner) We've used these agencies all with favorable results. One word of caution, I'd definitely steer clear of "Aunt Bugs cabin rental". They have terrible track record for a variety of reasons.

Ray

Mentioned in this post
Townsend
Townsend
Tennessee
7. Re: Christmas Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2016, 11:16