We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

Thank you for all TAs!

I plan to do a week diving tour before my hubby arrives. As I arrive late evening, I will stay first night in Semynak and plan to leave toward Pemuteran. It seems long hour road trip which I am not really keen to have. So I plan to stop in the middle and stay another night before reaching the area.

Which area is the best for the purpose? How long does it take?

If possible, good to have snorkeling spot. Not near rice field as I have frog phobia - although I was told they disappear during the dry season. Dolphin trip in Lovina is not my interest as I have done Swim with Dolphin tour with hundreds of them in Kaikoura, New Zealand earlier this year. Worst case, I can stop by wherever there is a nice hotel or villa with beautiful views and nice massage.

I have full days from Monday to Friday for diving. I plan to dive on Tuesday in North east national park and to dive on Thursday and Friday in Penida for Mola Mola and Manta Ray. Monday and Wednesday are used for middle stop rest points.

When my hubby arrives, we plan to stay one night in Candidasa and another in Amed for snorkeling as he is not diver.

Please share your local wisdom so I can make the most of this trip! Thank you!!

9 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

To clarify, I probably won’t be able to stay a night in the stop location as my diving boat will leave early next morning. So I will check in the hotel in the stop location mid-day after ~2 hour ride and chill out at the hotel and enjoy any activities nearby and head out to the destination around 7ish for ~ 2 hour ride. So I will need to double book hotel or villa on Monday and Wednesday.

Btw, I have stayed in Ubud during the visit in March.

Bali, Indonesia
Destination Expert
for Ubud, Pemuteran, Yogyakarta
Level Contributor
12,143 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

How about stopping in Munduk or Bedugul for a refreshing cool stop and lunch.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

It looks beautiful, but wonder if there are frogs around rice field and forest.. I have phobia and could not enjoy Ubud fully for the reason - enjoyed town, but not rice terrace. Thank u for your input!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,698 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

Hi Catherine,

I'm still confused on your itinerary.

"I have full days from Monday to Friday for diving. I plan to dive on Tuesday in North east national park and to dive on Thursday and Friday in Penida for Mola Mola and Manta Ray. Monday and Wednesday are used for middle stop rest points."

and then

"To clarify, I probably won’t be able to stay a night in the stop location as my diving boat will leave early next morning. So I will check in the hotel in the stop location mid-day after ~2 hour ride and chill out at the hotel and enjoy any activities nearby and head out to the destination around 7ish for ~ 2 hour ride. So I will need to double book hotel or villa on Monday and Wednesday."

what 'destination' is around 7ish, is that 7pm the same day or 7am the following morning and what dive boat.

Suggest you clarify exactly where you are staying for your diving, exactly how you are diving, what is the "dive boat", how you are getting to Penida or diving in Penida.

ANd what "double booking villa is"

Do you intend to stay on Penida Or stay on Lembongan and use a Lembongan dive centre of diving in Penida (best solution) or stay in Sanur and have a very expensive speedboat dive 2 days running.

Where did you think you would be on Wednesday

Can then better advise

Seminyak to Pemuteran would take you directly through the centre of Bali so nowhere near snorkeling.

We came the other direction-ish a few weeks ago. After diving/snorkeling/chillaxing in Pemuteran we headed to Ubud.

Fair old drive. We stopped at Ulun Danu Bratan and a waterfall on the way.

If you want you could stop in/around Bratan on the way.

Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

Hi

Thank you for your time! Sorry to confuse you.

I actually sorted out most of them by now and arranged transportation and dive centres except for route from Candidasa to Amed as I am still planning how to make the most efficient snorkeling trip on the way. I sorted out a driver on the route, too, though.

Answering your question as to double booking, I meant I will book two hotels the same day on Monday: one for mid stop rest for 6-7hours and the other for destination as I do not want to have a long road trip nor just make a tour in between, but feel holidays - swim at the hotel, massage, quick stoll wherever beautiful while the sun is up. So in the mid way villa, I check in at noon and check out at 7 pm.. not staying over night - yes, I need to pay the room regardless, and I would not mind.

But in the end, I decided to endure the a few hour journey with a lunch stop or any quick sightseeing stop in between as I want to jump in water early enough given that there is no attractive point in between for me.

I have been to Lembongan before - so how to get there etc is not an issue. and already talked to diving centres about diving trips in Penida.

Hopefully this trip will make me love Bali. I was quite disappointed after I visited Sanur and Lembongan after staying in all 3 Gili islands which I thought are fairly nice and provide a feel of Island. I have traveled to 200~ places and Bali was one of the most disappointing places when I visited it this March.

I, however, thought it would be unfair to say if I say such a thing when I did not visit better parts. So this time I decided to try all best parts of Bali so I can safely say I like it or not. Ubud was nicer than the other two and I can see why it is loved. Hopefully diving & snorkeling in North West Park/Pemuteran, Amed, Candidasa, Padangbai, and Penida will make my heart beat!!

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
14,698 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

Hi Catherine,

not sure where you wanted to stay 'up north" but if interested we stayed at Taman Sari http://tamansaribali.com/ and I dived with the local dive centre right by the Hotel Pool https://scubali.com/diving-in-bali/

I didn't bother with Menjangan Island. Just did local dives. The dive centre has 2 speed boats for local dives.

I actually did one dive (Temple Wall) and it was just me and 2 guides.

The snorkeling in front of Reef Seen down the beach can be good but when we were there due to full moon tides and choppy seas it was like snorkeling in a milkshake. To be honest the visibility was also a bit reduced out at the dive sites. The strong tides churns up the sand.

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

Hi Catherine.

My wife and I did the trip from Seminyak to Pemuteran last year. It took us about four hours but that was with a stop for lunch and a coffee break in a coffee plantation (sampling their wares) It wasn't a bad trip and the scenery was great and the road pretty good. If you are travelling from Ahmed to Pemuteran it may be quicker as you follow the coast road mostly. If you wanted to make a night stop on that route then Lovina beach, Buleleng/Singaraja area might be worth a look. You could also do a boat trip to see the dolphins and there are dive trips from Lovina Beach as well. Have a great holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

Hi Dude1962

Thank you for your reply! Yes, coffee stop might be a good idea if we can find coffee plantation on the way. I was intrigued by cat poo coffee stories. Thank u!

Singara looks good as I love waterfall, but I always get scared of visiting forest waterfalls in South East Asia due to my frog phobia as there might be frogs in tropical jungles. Further, I have seen amazing, giant, colourful waterfalls in China last month - visited all Yuntaishan, Zhangjiajie, Xianshenju, and Snow mountain this May (my May trip was mountain theme!). So probably can pass..

I thought Lovina could be on the way, but realised it is mainly for dolphin thing. I have done Swim with dolphin and dolphin watching in Kaikoura ocean, New Zealand, where you can be surrounded by literally hundreds of them this March again. So if I ended up seeing only tens of dolphines or less in Lovina, I might be disappointed.. so I decided to pass.

London, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran

I am trying to focus on competitive strengths of Bali - underwater life, beautiful scenery with combination of ocean and volcanic mountain/jungle, warm-hearted local people, and relaxing soft-hand massage (I love all kind of massage: Chinese for proper cure of body, Thai for good stretch, Korean for wet, strong massage in bath house, Japanese for calming mind, and Bali for relaxing body)

Thank you all for help!!

Edited: 09 June 2018, 04:04
Reply to: Ideal stop from seminyak to Pemuteran
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted