We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation tours/ghost tour

Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Plantation tours/ghost tour

Visit NOLA June 15-17 2018 and was thinking of doing the plantation tour and possibly a swamp tour (but prefer the plantation tour). I’ve done some research and I am between Oak Alley or Laura plantation. I Am interested in history, is one more fascinating than the other?

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,363 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
3 replies to this topic
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,348 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation tours/ghost tour

I found Laura to be fascinating - very good tour. A lot is known about the family, so you get a good story along with the house tour. And there are outbuildings that you can see as well as the main house.

Oak Alley was just ok - the house is beautiful and the oak trees are amazing, but the tour was sort of meh. It felt very canned - like the guide memorized a script, but didn't actually know much.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,720 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation tours/ghost tour

Many plantation tours combine Oak Alley and Laura and ghost tours Phantom or Lord Chaz get good reviews.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
8 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantation tours/ghost tour

Plantation tours are great...we did Oak Alley and Laura. I didn't think the interior of Oak Alley was bad, it had period furniture and the guides are now clearly making an effort to describe plantation life both from the viewpoint of the owners and the slaves. As far as ghost tours, cemetary tours are probably ok, but DON'T go on one of those evening ghost tours of the French Quarter. To put it bluntly, any ghosts or vampires that may have once haunted the French Quarter have long ago been driven out by the hordes of ghost seekers prowling the city streets. The ghost tour we went on was a joke. Our guide was clearly delivering a script. This was confirmed when we walked past other tour guides delivering the same script. There are literally 3 or 4 groups crowding around each sight. It is ridiculous. There is no creepy ambience here. Also, the stories were for the most part lame and mostly unverifiable. Lots of creepy stuff happened here...pirates, voodoo, evil slave owners. The city has a genuine story to tell, it just isn't being told here.

Mentioned in this post
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,659 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Reply to: Plantation tours/ghost tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted