We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car dilemma

Level Contributor
183 posts
22 reviews
Rental car dilemma

Hi, so we want to take a cruise out of Seward on August 13. I would tentatively arrive in Anchorage on August 6 and we want to Rent-A-Car and drive to Denali and then to Seward for a couple days before the cruise. With my research I understand that Herz is the only rental car company in Seward so if I want a one-way rental I would have to go with them . I just priced this and it's $1300 for a week picking up at Anchorage and dropping off in Seward. This is compared to $650 for a week picking up and dropping off in Anchorage. The other thing I looked into is renting a car for a week at a cheaper rate from another agency and then a one-day rental from Hertz to get to Seward. However when speaking to hertz they say they don't reserve in advance one-way rentals for just a day. Advice ?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,707 posts
171 reviews
1. Re: Rental car dilemma

Did you try calling the local Hertz office in Anchorage: (907) 562-4595 ? A lot of times you'll get bad answers from the 1-800#. And lots of people do one way, one day rentals between Anchorage and Seward. So I'm pretty sure you got bad information on that.

seward
Level Contributor
775 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Rental car dilemma

Hi, I would drop the car in Anchorage. Take PJ's Taxi from Anchorage. They will stop at all the good places and show you good photo stops. A LOT cheaper than Hertz! You can take the bus line but PJ's is better! Best BoatAk

Level Contributor
183 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Rental car dilemma

Great, I'll check into that thanks

Level Contributor
183 posts
22 reviews
4. Re: Rental car dilemma

Yeah, I did talk to a lady at that number. Seems odd still ...thanks

seward
Level Contributor
775 posts
20 reviews
5. Re: Rental car dilemma

Hey, I must have missed something.... "Seems odd still ...thanks"?

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
76 posts
135 reviews
6. Re: Rental car dilemma

You could drop your car in Anchorage and take the train to Seward. There is a 2 for 1 coupon in the Toursaver book for adventure class train tickets on that leg, I believe it is for midweek travel only. That made our rate $105 for two from Anchorage to Seward on the train. Seward is small, so walking, a free shuttle or a modest price for a taxi are all possibilities.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
13,129 posts
233 reviews
7. Re: Rental car dilemma

"Seems odd still ...thanks"?

- I'm betting there's a comma missing. "Seems odd, but thanks anyway" type of thing.

PJ's...

I agree it's a great option.

Bonnie also had some good advice.

Level Contributor
183 posts
22 reviews
8. Re: Rental car dilemma

Thanks !

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
9. Re: Rental car dilemma

Just this week on Expedia I was able to book a 1 day 1 way Hertz car from Seward to Anchorage. Cost was $300. Expensive but there are five of us and the car was cheaper than bus/train plus we can spend our time as we like along the way. In Anchorage we'll drop off the car and pick up a cheaper car to explore northward.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Rental car dilemma

How would one get a Tourbook?

Thanks!