We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions to beef up our visit ???

Level Contributor
182 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions to beef up our visit ???

Hi ! we will arrive in Anchorage around 1230 aug 13 We have reservations that night and Tallkenta . We like to hike , see beautiful sites , interesting cultural stops. Go to museums but not really staying there very long. 1. Question one is there a short hike or something that you consider a must-see on the drive to our first night stay?

Then we will spend three nights in Denali , which I've only reserved the shuttle all the way to wonder Lake one day. 2. Second question, do I really want to reserve a shuttle for second day I just can't imagine that amount of time on the bus.

Then we drive back to Anchorage and will have the afternoon to walk around and see the city. No rental cars were available so we're taking the early train to Seward the next day. We have two nights in Seward before our cruise. The day we arrive I suppose we could go to exit glacier on the shuttle. The next full day I have the Kenai fjords Cruise scheduled. 3. Last question, what would you suggest I do with the full day before I get on the cruise that evening. Should we rent a car and go back up to Seward Highway just for the day ?go to Cooper Landing ? go to portage glacier or just stay in town? Thanks !

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
Seward Highway
Seward Highway
142 Reviews
Alaska
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,063 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions to beef up our visit ???

Welcome to the forum!

I am confused by your second sentence. You said you have reservations that night and Talkeetna. Does "that night" refer to the first night in Anchorage that you mentioned in your first sentence? I assume so. But maybe you mistyped and meant "that night IN Talkeetna." Unfortunately my crystal ball is not working today!

I wonder why you booked 3 nights in Denali if you are questioning going on the shuttle more than one day. Having said that, you said you like to hike. Denali is a hiker's dream! I love hiking in Denali. I would do entrance-area activities the day you arrive in Denali. Then on the two full days I would book shuttles to Eielson or Wonder Lake. In your case since you already reserved one day to Wonder Lake I would reserve the second day to there as well. Then decide on the day of each trip if you actually go that far. I would only go to Wonder Lake if the Mountain is out. Otherwise get off at Eielson and on the way back, get off the bus to do some hiking. Check out the Top Questions about Denali on the Denali forum for tips on day hikes (not visible on a mobile device) or ask your bus driver or a park ranger at Eielson for ideas. Personally I try to avoid hiking near Eielson since it can get so crowded there. I prefer to hike a bit more off the beaten path. With 6 million acres, why so many people start their hikes at Eielson is beyond me!

Since you like hiking, I would suggest the Caines Head coastal trail for your last day before boarding the cruise. Pretty flat since it goes along the shoreline but you need to check the tide tables since a portion of it can't be hiked in high tide. Arrange before you leave for a water taxi to bring you back to Seward. Hiking it round trip would take too long. Another option is to save Exit Glacier for the last day. Consider hiking the Harding Icefield hike. Strenuous and should take 6-8 hours. It is a great hike with great views. Even if you don't do the entire trail, just getting up in elevation a bit gives you great views.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Exit Glacier
Exit Glacier
733 Reviews
Kenai Fjords National Park, AK
Level Contributor
182 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions to beef up our visit ???

Thanks for the ideas. Yes, we will hit the road directly upon landing in Anchorage and was hoping to find a walk somewhere en route along 3 N as a pit stop.

Mentioned in this post
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,925 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions to beef up our visit ???

Denali & 2 days of shuttle...

- I use the first day as guide as to select places to get off the shuttle for walks/hikes on the 2nd day.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions to beef up our visit ???

Thunderbird Falls - 25 miles north of Anchorage on the Glenn HIghway. 2 mile 'easy' hike.

Mentioned in this post
Thunderbird Falls
Thunderbird Falls
212 Reviews
Anchorage, AK
5. Re: Suggestions to beef up our visit ???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2018, 12:17