We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild bears in Alaska

Jurong, Singapore
Level Contributor
263 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Wild bears in Alaska

I am interested to visit Alaska but bears seems to be an issue for me. Aren't you guys afraid of chancing into one while hiking etc. I know we have to be equipped with knowledge abt bears and how to escape n not provoke them. But the high % of chancing a bear seems something too adventurous for me. Do you guys have this issue and worries?

I am thinking of going for a cruise trip to see Alaska so i dont need to worry about this. 😂

7 replies to this topic
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
5,987 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wild bears in Alaska

Yes, people die all the time! It's a blood bath on the trails....

Just kidding. Yes, you have to be bear aware. Make noise as you hike.

Honestly I worry more about moose than bears. Bears act rationally. Moose act like crack heads jonesing for a hit.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Wild bears in Alaska

Good info about the Moose, I wondered about the bears too

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,233 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wild bears in Alaska

It's a numbers thing...thousands and thousands of folks, locals and visitors, take to the trails every summer. By being "bear aware" and taking the recommended precautions you can reduce your chances of an encounter substantially. Will there be incidents with wildlife, be it moose or bears? Yes. Will it happen to you? probably not.

You take risks every time you hop on a plane, or even in a car...there are things in life that aren't completely in our control. You just choose where you feel the reward is worth the risk.

Personally, being out in nature fits the bill for me:)

Edited: 10 August 2017, 19:31
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,807 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wild bears in Alaska

Bear aware on the trails...

- one should be bear aware all of the time in AK, not just while in trails.

- the same for moose

Crystal Springs...
Level Contributor
716 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wild bears in Alaska

Bear attacks do happen. Most times it's because by accident you get caught in between a cub(s) and mama. It's has happened to guides, tourists and locals alike. It is rare. Kodiak Brown bears have to known to circle around and hunt down a hunter. The best protection is bringing along a trained dog. The dog can smell the bear long before it becomes a problem. In 20+ years living in the bush of Alaska I had to shoot one problem bear and it was a bummer watching it die.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
41,924 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wild bears in Alaska

I have lived in Alaska for almost 30 years, including a few summers spent in the middle of Denali national park . . . you need to be aware as soon as you leave the airport - they can be anywhere. But given that, most folks NEVER have problems with bears, as long as you are knowledgeable and follow good procedures when you are walking/hiking and camping. Most bears follow predictable behavior and try to avoid human contact. Moose encounters are much more common and can be just as deadly. Get educated please. :)

Boston...
Level Contributor
48 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wild bears in Alaska

Just returned from trip to AK. Went to Denali, Seward, Turnagin Arm, Girdwood & Anchorage. Saw lots of bear warnings. Did some short hikes but never saw a bear except on a bear viewing tour. I think that as long as you are aware of bear protocol - most hiking sites have posting on how to avoid and/or deal with bear encounters. I didn't do any back country hiking or fishing so I was less likely of encountering a bear.

Reply to: Wild bears in Alaska
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted