We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Romantic trip to Alaska

Riverside...
4 posts
Save Topic
Romantic trip to Alaska

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Alaska for September 11-14, so it'll just be 4 days/ 3 nights. We want to see wildlife and glaciers. We were thinking of a short trip on a plane to sightsee, and the Kenai Fjords tour. Can anyone offer any suggestions that might not be too overly expensive. Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
10 replies to this topic
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
11 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Romantic trip to Alaska

So many places

You can go what town are you planning on staying in though Alaska is big

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Riverside...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Romantic trip to Alaska

I'm planning on flying in to Anchorage, and it's going to be our first time in Alaska. I was told since I won't be there too many days it's best to stay in one area and not travel so far.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,493 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Romantic trip to Alaska

Will you be renting a car during your stay?

Riverside...
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Romantic trip to Alaska

I was told that would be cheaper option to getting around so more than likely, but train sounded lovely. I would love recommendations.i just wondering how would people get home after the train and to the train.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Romantic trip to Alaska

" I was told since I won't be there too many days it's best to stay in one area and not travel so far."

Well, you can do that...but then you won't see much. Your choice to make.

What time/date do you arrive and what time/date do you depart?

What does "overly expensive" mean?

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
11 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Romantic trip to Alaska

If your staying in Anchorage train is walking distance from city centre same as Seward you can walk so it's a lovely day or overnight trip, not sure about accommodation in Seward but there is probably something nice there, then go back next day

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Romantic trip to Alaska

A rental car is $31 a day (plus insurance & gas). The train is $300+ roundtrip for two--and you can't make stops along the way, such as Wildlife Conservation Center which is your best chance to see a variety of animals in a fairly natural setting, since you don't have time to go to Denali.

Edited: 27 August 2017, 04:35
Mentioned in this post
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
Alaska Wildlife...
2,556 Reviews
Girdwood, AK
Riverside...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Romantic trip to Alaska

Yeah, I was thinking of going down to Seward. They first and last of my 4 days will be spent on the plane, so I technically have 2 free days. So I will have September the 12th and 13th free in Alaska.

Overly expensive means I don't want to spend more than $500 in those 2 days.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Romantic trip to Alaska

What time do you leave on the 14th?

Do you mean $500 including 3 nights' lodging (11th, 12th, 13th)? If so, are you willing to stay in a hostel?

Edited: 27 August 2017, 05:00
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
18,247 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Romantic trip to Alaska

Some questions....$500 per person, including rental car, including food? Including hotel? What do you hope $500 per day will cover and for each or both of you? You seem to be saying you don't want to spend more than $1000 for the trip plus your airfare?

If that is true, you won't be doing any flightseeing tours...they start at about $115 per person just to fly for a half hour around Anchorage. So...rent a car, the afternoon you arrive, if the weather is nice, drive up to Arctic Valley...beautiful place and easy to reach and a the views are fabulous. Then a nice bite to eat - I like the creekside tables at t he Arctic Roadrunner for a burger on a nice evening ....they only take cash - plan on about $12 per person or so.

You migh think about staying the night of the 12th in Whittier. It's a lovely small town, you could stop on the way there or on the way back at Girdwood (our ski town and worth a stop and a ride on the tram) and at t he Wildlife Conservation Center. Use the other day for your Glacier cruise and a bit of looking around. Saves doing a lot of driving in one day and allows you to spend some time along the way in both directions.

Depending on your flight back, you could spend some time on the last day renting ibikes and riding the Coastal trail or just walking around Anchorage. It's a nice small city and there will be pretty good sales in all the shops downtown for souvenirs...some are junk but some are really nice!

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Mentioned in this post
Arctic Roadrunner
Arctic Roadrunner
115 Reviews
Anchorage, AK
Girdwood
Girdwood
Anchorage, AK
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
Alaska Wildlife...
2,556 Reviews