We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day tours before evening flight

Kentucky
Level Contributor
287 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Half day tours before evening flight

Hello, I will be in Anchorage one night after a cruise/land tour. My flight doesn't leave until 7:30pm the next evening. I would like to take a tour, thinking Turnagain Arm. Most of the tours I'm finding is afternoon tours and they also require at least 2 people. I will be by myself(50's female). I found a shuttle I could take, where I can get on and off. I would rather do a tour being by myself, but if I did the shuttle would it be safe?

Mentioned in this post
3 replies to this topic
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,979 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Half day tours before evening flight

Shouldn’t be any problem traveling alone on a shuttle. Most tour companies will pair you with other independent travelers. Try Salmonberry Tours.

Have you considered renting a car? That would give you the most flexibility.

When are you traveling?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
287 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Half day tours before evening flight

We'll be leaving Anchorage August 22nd. The rest of my group leaves that morning, but my flight is evening. I might look into renting a car, but really thinking about the shuttle. Does anyone know if there might be a problem getting on the shuttle hourly? I'm hoping it wouldn't be so full I have to wait another hour coming back to Anchorage.

Mentioned in this post
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,016 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Half day tours before evening flight

"Does anyone know if there might be a problem getting on the shuttle hourly? I'm hoping it wouldn't be so full I have to wait another hour coming back to Anchorage."

Good question to ask the company, especially since there are only 12 seats. The shuttle is new this year so we don't know anything about it yet. It doesn't appear to have any reviews so far: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review…

If you do take it, allow at least an extra hour to get back to Anchorage just in case. Personally, I'd rent a car as fti suggested. Then you can make stops wherever you want (the drive is very scenic with several pull-outs to enjoy the views) and spend as much or as little time as you want to at the Wildlife Conservation Center or wherever. It will cost more, of course, but the convenience will be worth it IMO, and your wheels are right there when you want them.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center
Alaska Wildlife...
2,543 Reviews
Girdwood, AK
Reply to: Half day tours before evening flight
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted