We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Footwear in June?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Footwear in June?

Hi all!

My mom and I will be traveling to Anchorage/Girdwood this weekend and I don’t want to overpack. I’ve read all about the layering process and I have that down pat. However, I don’t want to pack too many shoes and I’m confused on how warm of a shoe to bring. I have some Sorels that I wear when I go skiing. They have a tuff of fur at the top, but will I look too goofy in these in June? Will they be “too” warm? They’re quite comfortable to walk in and I would love to wear what I already have and not go out and buy something. Thank you in advance for your feedback!!! (We won’t be doing much hiking as my elderly mom has a bad back but we will be doing a lot of walking (I hope!) Going to Seward by train one day and taking a cruise to Resurrection Bay which I hear can get quite chilly! Other than that, just walking around Anchorage and Girdwood.....) thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Girdwood
Girdwood
Anchorage, AK
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Resurrection Bay
Resurrection Bay
776 Reviews
Seward, AK
8 replies to this topic
Munich
Level Contributor
8,745 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Footwear in June?

You can bring you normal shoes which you wear at home. sneakers or something else.

Alaska is not the perpetual ice. lol

this year in May we had about 70 degrees.

Beate

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Footwear in June?

Thank you for the hasty response!! Being from New Orleans, even 70 degrees seems chilly. Lol!

I’ll leave the Sorels at home!! :)

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Footwear in June?

Good question! I love to wear nice boots and dress nice casual..wonder if they will be appropriate for siteseeing

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,935 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Footwear in June?

Practical, function and comfortable are key to travel in Alaska.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,026 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Footwear in June?

We pack for 3 weeks in Alaska in Carry on and laptop.

Always wear waterproof jacket and ankle high waterproof hikers

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Footwear in June?

I am liking my keen waterproof hiking sandles, sometimes with socks, but hiking boots are my go to. If going on a boat, rubber soled boots.

Florida
Level Contributor
183 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Footwear in June?

I'm from Florida and always bring my insulated ankle boots. When your feet get cold, you just can't get warm.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
255 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Footwear in June?

I'm from Florida, been to Alaska once and going back next month. I bought each of us, 2 adults, 2 kids, a pair of waterproof walking shoes (they look like a cross between walking/hiking shoes and athletic shoes, and not anything like snow boots). Mine are Merrells from their Moab line. I also bought us all lightweight rain jackets and convertible (zip off) pants-to-shorts, to accommodate a range of temperatures and activities.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Reply to: Footwear in June?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted