We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental on my last day in Alaska-worth it?

5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Rental on my last day in Alaska-worth it?

Hi everyone,

I'll be in Anchorage on July 1st, for about a full day on my last day of my 10-day Alaska journey (My flight leaves ANC at 8:30). I can rent a car for a day for about 70 dollars and I'm wondering if it's worth it. This won't be my only day in Anchorage; I'll be there from the 24th-26th (leave early for Seward on the 27th) for a conference. On the 27th I'll have some free time and I'm hoping to check out the Heritage Museum and maybe the Native Heritage center. As part of my conference I'll be taking a tour of some farms around Palmer on Tuesday afternoon. With my last free day in Anchorage, I'm hoping to go to the Alaska Zoo, but other than that I don't have a set destination. What would you guys recommend I do with about 10 hours with a car?

Thank you,

Steve

6 replies to this topic
San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1,505 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental on my last day in Alaska-worth it?

You could drive out to whittier, portage glacier, girdwood, Alaska wildlife conservation center, Kincaid park, taco bell, the zoo a trailhead like flattop mountain.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
5,794 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental on my last day in Alaska-worth it?

Have you been to Matanuska Glacier for a guided ice trek? The drive is 2+ hrs., and you could do an easy guided hike with MICA, Nova, or Matanuska Glacier Adventures. The last-named is a shorter hike (2 hrs) which would give you time to visit the zoo as well.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental on my last day in Alaska-worth it?

I'd definitely rent a car.

5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental on my last day in Alaska-worth it?

Where would you recommend checking out?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,384 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental on my last day in Alaska-worth it?

You could go north to the Matanuska Glacier and Hatcher Pass or south along the Turnagain Arm and do the tram at Aleyska, the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and stuff in the Portage area. Or a Prince William Sound glacier cruise from Whittier.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental on my last day in Alaska-worth it?

We also have Uber in Anchorage. If you are staying downtown, you could walk to the Anchorage museum and Snow City Cafe. If you do get a car, I would recommend Flat Top extrance to Chugach State Park, short view or longer hikes (I like the mostly level trail to Powerline pass 1 hr+/-)or Upper Huffman trail head for a nice view of Denali and Foraker. Also nearby.. an route to Portage, McHugh Creek waterfall.

Very popular, likely a wait, Mooses Tooth pizzeria and micro brews in midtown or Double Musky bar appetizers in Girdwood. Alyeska/Girdwood offers riding the ski lift up for views or hiking. There's a restaurant at top, but I haven't tried it.

Edited: 13 June 2018, 04:18
Reply to: Car Rental on my last day in Alaska-worth it?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted