We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV in Alaska

Swieqi, Malta
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
RV in Alaska

Having read the bad reviews on Clippership, which companies do you recommend please?

12 replies to this topic
Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
6,577 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV in Alaska

Great Alaskan Holidays or ABC Rentals are two of the bigger players.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: RV in Alaska

What about Motorhome Republic as an RV rental?? Are they okay? Thanks.

Sterling Heights...
Level Contributor
3 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV in Alaska

We rented from Great Alaskan Holidays last August. We did 3 weeks in late August to mid September. GAH was great, we had no issues or difficulties.

Palo Alto...
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: RV in Alaska

I thought this forum would be suitable as we will be touring using a motorhome. We pick up our RV (Motorhome Republic) on August 5th after a long haul flight from Australia and are looking for a park not too far from our pick up point which is 5401 Old Seward Highway, Anchorage. We would also need to get a few basic supplies before doing the 'big' shop the following day.

If someone could advise us on a suitable park, clean with amenities, reasonable price and not too far from civilization that would be appreciated. After this we will 'wing it' for the next 14 days before catching a flight out of Anchorage on August 19th to Juneau. We are planning to drive to Fairbanks, staying a couple of nights at Denali NP along the way, but also do things in and around Seward and the Kenai NP before or after heading inland. Any hints on places to stay, things to do, where to eat is all appreciated. We are a couple in our late 60's, into easy walking, but not hiking..

Thanks so much for all your comments.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
44,479 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV in Alaska

I would purchase a Milepost as soon as you arrive - will be a great help as your drive around our state. :)

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: RV in Alaska

DonaAus, I hope you have better luck with Clippership than many people have had--the Better Business Bureau rates it an F and as the OP to this thread has said, there are MANY terrible reviews of it.

Motorhome Republic is a booking service with a large number of its own bad reviews (usually about hidden fees from the quick perusal I did).

When you get to Clippership, I suggest you spend the time (maybe even the first night in their lot) TESTING everything to see that it works properly. Heed the warning from BBB:

"On May 8, 2013, BBB recognized a pattern of complaints from consumers regarding service issues. Consumers allege once they begin their vacations, they discover various things to be inoperable in the motorhomes they rented from Clippership Motorhome Rentals. Consumers claim the water stopped working, which affects the restroom, and the kitchen and the propane stove stopped working. "

Alabama
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV in Alaska

We rented a RV from ABC a couple of years ago and they did everything they said they would do. We got a special and had to pay in full 9 months prior to our trip which worried us but we had not problems at all. We are thinking of another trip next year and will be using them again.

Anchorage, Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: RV in Alaska

I recently rented from Alaska Family Motorhomes. They are a small family business with older rigs. I had no problems and found them easy to work with. I couldn't rent from ABC or Great Alaska Holiday as I wanted one who would allow me to bring my dog. They do allow pets which the big guys don't! Even thought the rig was older, it ran fine and everything worked. My regular State Farm insurance covered me to drive the rig so no problem there. I would rent from them again.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: RV in Alaska

ABC or Great Alaskan. I've rented from both. I even picked up a 2015 Milepost on their 'borrow' table (multiple copies available) so didn't have to buy it- fun to read to the driver while on the road.

Cumberland Center...
Level Contributor
7 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RV in Alaska

We rented from Great Alaskan Holidays, Inc

Just wrapped up a 3 week rental May-June 2017. Our 31' mini-winnie was clean and basically equipped. GAH staff is efficient and professional. Transportation (during business hours available) from the Airport. We arrived after hours and spent the night in our RV (warm and ready for us) in their parking lot and completed our orientation first thing in the morning. Watch the on-line videos before you go. You will have to watch them again when you get your orientation, but if you have never used a generation, camping lavatory etc, it s very important to review)

We anticipated our trip and shipped (in advance), spices (dollar store is best for this), beach towels 9only if you need them) and other amenities we thought we'd need, to family nearby and purchased other items as we went (Fred Myer, Walmart and Carrs Supermarket (Safeway) are all nearby). It is "cozy" for 2 couples. The dinette conversion to bed is okay but not the most comfortable of sleeping experiences (I eventually supplemented my bed with an air mattress).

Draw back, no leveling jacks and no awning. I understand that you try to eliminate items that people could "forget" and damage, but not all camping sites are level, and in the land of the midnight sun some shade would be nice.

If you have never been to AK this is the way to see it, just give yourself LOTS of time to see it (and then you will still not see it all). Best news, if you see and awesome location, in AK you can pull off and spend the night almost anywhere (as long as it is not private land).

Watch for pre-season booking and incentive last min deals. I am happy to answer any questions.

Reply to: RV in Alaska
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted