We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between Legal's locations?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,454 posts
312 reviews
Save Topic
Difference between Legal's locations?

Hi, we will be in Cambridge next month and want to revisit some old haunts for dinner. We will be staying up near NBER so the Harvard Sq. one is more convenient than the one by MIT. Is the food and service pretty much the same, or is one clearly preferable?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
9 replies to this topic
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,899 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference between Legal's locations?

If the name is "Legal Seafood" then yes, they are similar.

I'm not sure when you were last here, but now Legal has other restaurants with different menus. They have names like "Legal Test Kitchen" and "Legal Crossing" and "Legal Harborside" and "Legal on the Mystic". Most (all?) have only one location and their menus are different from the traditional/original locations.

Mentioned in this post
Legal Test Kitchen
Legal Test Kitchen
746 Reviews
Boston, MA
Legal Crossing
Legal Crossing
420 Reviews
Boston, MA
Legal Harborside
Legal Harborside
2,223 Reviews
Boston, MA
Mystic
Mystic
Connecticut
Boston...
Level Contributor
3,979 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between Legal's locations?

I'd suggest googleing recent reviews for each. I don't know about those two in particular but of the ones I've been to some were definitely better than others. Theoretically the food is the same but presumably due to different kitchen staff that hasn't been my experience.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,454 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between Legal's locations?

Thanks! Will do.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between Legal's locations?

I live in Cambridge and frequent both of those. I much prefer the Harvard Square location because of its cozy ambiance. If you like sitting at the bar, it's always a friendly experience. The dining room is comfortable with a lot of booths (I like booths) and they don't rush you if you're just dallying in conversation with a friend. N ice staff.

The Kendall location is in a modern office building and just doesn't have the same ambiance, although the food is good and they have some oyster specials at the bar (you'll l have to look it up online because it changes) which they don't have at Harvard Sq.

In my experience Legal Sea Food locations are indeed different - Chestnut Hill is meh, Prudential is yuck.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Harvard Square
Harvard Square
1,219 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Kendall Hotel
Kendall Hotel
1,099 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,454 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between Legal's locations?

Great info, thanks!

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between Legal's locations?

It's a chain. A good chain, but it's a chain. They're all pretty similar other than ambiance. The food will be the same.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
15,454 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference between Legal's locations?

I know:). But the old Inman Sq location was the fanciest restaurant I went to in college and then years later it was our go to place...so memories.

Boston...
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference between Legal's locations?

The food is NOT the same at the ones with a different name. It's still seafood-heavy, with overlap. But the food at Legal Crossing is a little more adventurous, in my opinion. And I really like Legal Harborside (but definitely get a reservation).

I, too, like the Harvard Square Legal's.

Mentioned in this post
Legal Crossing
Legal Crossing
420 Reviews
Boston, MA
Legal Harborside
Legal Harborside
2,223 Reviews
Boston, MA
Harvard Square
Harvard Square
1,219 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Difference between Legal's locations?

Yes, the food is not the same. Legal Osteria in Charlestown has a completely different menu and is very good. Also Legal Harborside has three different restaurants in its three story building in the Seaport, all different. The one on the first floor is a traditional Legal's. And LTK, Legal Test Kitchen, is across the street.

Mentioned in this post
Charlestown
Charlestown
South County, RI
Seaport Boston Hotel
Seaport Boston Hotel
5,354 Reviews
Boston, MA
Legal Test Kitchen
Legal Test Kitchen
746 Reviews
Boston, MA
Reply to: Difference between Legal's locations?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted