We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation

1 post
Save Topic
Transportation

Family of four traveling from Cambridge to Providence. What is the best hassle free way to get from point A to point B?

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
2 replies to this topic
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,478 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation

Get in a car and drive from Cambridge to Providence. That's the easiest way and the way that most locals would do it. You can take Amtrak from South Station in Boston to Providence. Take the Red Line to South Station from Cambridge.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Cambridge...
Level Contributor
721 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation

If you have a car, drive. I usually take the Mass Pike (Interstate 90) west from the Cambridge/Allston interchange to Weston, where I pick up I-95 south and follow it all the way to Providence. If you are in eastern Cambridge, get onto I-93 south near the Museum of Science, and join up with I-95 south of Boston. If you are in the Alewife area, I might consider taking Route 2 out to Lexington and getting on I-95 south there. Just follow whatever directions Google maps gives you to avoid traffic.

By train, its pretty easy to take the Red Line subway from Cambridge to South Station, and then catch either Amtrak or the MBTA Providence commuter line. I have found that Amtrak has a slightly better schedule if you are going down to Providence for the day, but it is also more expensive than the MBTA train. In Providence, the train station is an easy walk to things like the Brown and RISD campuses and most of downtown.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Providence
Providence
Rhode Island
Museum of Science
Museum of Science
2,973 Reviews
Boston, MA
Boston