We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire for 19-year old in MA?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire for 19-year old in MA?

Heading out to Boston, MA for a few weeks in August/Sept 2015 while my girlfriend starts at Harvard. Hoping to travel about New England a bit to explore and was wondering about the feasibility of hiring a car as a 19-year old. I would be based out of Cambridge.

By that point I will have held a licence for over one & half years covering nearly 7,000 miles with (lets hope!) no claims on my insurance.

Any thoughts, ideas and recommendations are much appreciated!

Boston in One Day Sightseeing Tour
782 Reviews
from US$79.00*
Special Offer
Go Boston Card
136 Reviews
from US$57.00*
US$60.00
American History Tour: Cambridge...
303 Reviews
from US$56.00*
Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,511 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire for 19-year old in MA?

I think the lowest age is 21 for rentals if not 25.

Where are you planning to visit? You can get to many places in Massachusetts via MBTA or could hop on an Amtrack train as well.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,221 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire for 19-year old in MA?

Have your girlfriend contact Harvard's student life office and ask. They may have arrangements with somebody.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,602 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire for 19-year old in MA?

It is very difficult to find a car rental for an under 21 driver. They don't care about how long you have driven or your record, just your age. Some will rent to you with a daily surcharge, you just have to try different companies on line. Harvard will not help you, the reason for the surcharge is the insurance cost for an under 21 driver. Most major rental companies have an office in Cambridge somewhere.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
7,145 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire for 19-year old in MA?

Your girlfriend (provided she is 18) would be able to rent from Zipcar as they have an agreement with Harvard: www.zipcar.com/crimson?zipfleet_id=94396

You will probably have a hard time renting from the major companies due to your age under 21. I would check smaller, independent places that rent secondhand cars instead.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
26,221 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire for 19-year old in MA?

Thanks Bookat .... I thought I remembered hearing something like that but could not recall the specifics.

Alex, if your girlfriend rents the car, you will not be able to drive it unless you are listed on the contract as an authorized driver.

Edited: 28 December 2014, 09:30
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,602 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire for 19-year old in MA?

You should take a look at the Zipcar website. it's a terrific thing, and really popular with a lot of people I know. However, it takes about a week to become a member. Your GF would have to become a member through the Zipcar program with Harvard, and would be the driver.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire for 19-year old in MA?

Thanks for your support and responses so far everyone.

There are plenty of ideas to chase up, including a closer look at using public services such as Greyhound to get about.

Any further ideas are still welcomed :)

8. Re: Car hire for 19-year old in MA?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 December 2015, 13:16