We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whole Foods, Seafood, Good Food, Craft Beer & Wine - Help

NC
Level Contributor
853 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Whole Foods, Seafood, Good Food, Craft Beer & Wine - Help

My daughter has some school interviews at Harvard and we'll be staying in the Somerville area. I know Boston good enough but I don't know anything about this area. I'm hoping a Whole Foods is nearby. Looking for a place to get some good briny oysters and maybe some good craft beer & wine. Does anything ring a bell - Thanks so much

Mentioned in this post
Somerville
Somerville
Massachusetts
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
The Hourly Oyster House
$$ - $$$, American, Bar, Seafood
Legal Sea Foods
$$ - $$$, American, Seafood
Island Creek Oyster Bar
$$ - $$$, American, Bar, Seafood
Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whole Foods, Seafood, Good Food, Craft Beer & Wine - Help

You are in luck my friend. Cambridge/Somerville are a great place to find craft beer. Lord Hobo is a great beer bar by MIT (2 t stops from Harvard), one of the best selections in the state. Meadhall is right over there too and also a great selection. In Harvard Square there's Russell House Tavern and others. No trip to Somerville would be complete without going to RedBones either. Old Magoun's Saloon has a great Oktoberfest (Pilsner/marzen, not pumpkin) selection on right now. Aeronaut Brewery is open in Somerville too, as is the Slumbrew tent at Assembly Square.

Check the BeerAdvocate New England forum for more detailed advice. Uber is a good way to get around Camberville if the Red Line doesn't connect your destinations.

There's at least two whole foods in Cambridge that I know of. Google maps will tell you where they are.

Edited: 28 October 2015, 07:50
Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Somerville
Somerville
Massachusetts
Harvard Square
Harvard Square
1,222 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
Russell House Tavern
Russell House Tavern
781 Reviews
Cambridge, MA
New England
New England
United States
Boston...
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whole Foods, Seafood, Good Food, Craft Beer & Wine - Help

There are three Whole Foods in Cambridge and one in Somerville. I think the only one that carries beer and wine is the one on River St. in Cambridge. It is not usual for Mass. grocery stores to carry beer and wine because of our crazy liquor laws.

But there are plenty of liquor stores around, and all but the smallest will have a good selection of beer and wine.

Will you have a car?

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Boston...
Level Contributor
3,999 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Whole Foods, Seafood, Good Food, Craft Beer & Wine - Help

You can google all the whole foods in the area.

It would help if you said exactly where you are staying. Somerville is pretty big. For example the Medford/Arlington end is nowhere near the Charlestown end in terms of going to the store or grabbing a beer.

Mentioned in this post
Arlington
Arlington
Virginia
Charlestown
Charlestown
South County, RI
NC
Level Contributor
853 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whole Foods, Seafood, Good Food, Craft Beer & Wine - Help

We are staying in a Holiday Inn of Washington Street - We will have a car and they also have a shuttle service - Any Seafood Places for good steamed/raw oysters? Thanks again everyone

Mentioned in this post
Washington Street
Washington Street
31 Reviews
Boston, MA
Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whole Foods, Seafood, Good Food, Craft Beer & Wine - Help

Island Creek is my favorite for oysters. It's in Boston. Also Redbones has an amazing fried oyster. And I'll second all the sugestions that Rethcir offered... they're spot on!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,479 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whole Foods, Seafood, Good Food, Craft Beer & Wine - Help

There are now three Whole Foods in Cambridge, one in Somerville, and one on the Medford Somerville line. Best oysters are at Summer Shack in Cambridge and Island Creek in Kenmore Sqaure as well as any Legal Seafood.

Mentioned in this post
Cambridge
Cambridge
Massachusetts
Somerville
Somerville
Massachusetts
Summer Shack
Summer Shack
1,051 Reviews
Boston, MA
7. Re: Whole Foods, Seafood, Good Food, Craft Beer & Wine - Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 January 2017, 08:17