We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lake Powell Kayak Water Taxi Options?

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lake Powell Kayak Water Taxi Options?

Does anyone have suggestions / options for backhaul/water taxi options for two kayakers? I'd love to spend a couple nights near Labyrinth Canyon, but the nearly $400 up and back tow fee just isn't do-able. We'll be there the weekend of October 20-22

7 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
17,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lake Powell Kayak Water Taxi Options?

Maybe these companies? (Easily found with a Google search)

https:/…

www.lakepowellhiddencanyonkayak.com/edge/

I assume you know that you will be required to have a porta potty in your camp.

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lake Powell Kayak Water Taxi Options?

Yeah - I found those ones too, that's where I got the cost estimate - I guess I was hoping there might be some resources in terms of shuttle share, private shuttle services, etc.

And yes, I'm thrilled about the "bag your own" aspect of our adventure ;)

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lake Powell Kayak Water Taxi Options?

Since it's off season for Lake Powell, your options for this may be very limited. Aramark is very restrictive about who can operate a business on Lake Powell - permits, etc. Private shuttle services would have to be licensed by them to operate on the lake. Maybe a phone call to Wahweap Marina might yield some information.

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lake Powell Kayak Water Taxi Options?

Gotcha - thanks for the suggestion, I'll try giving them a call.

Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lake Powell Kayak Water Taxi Options?

Alternate Question: Are there any other non-taxi ways of cutting the distance between Antelope Marina (where we were intending to start out at) and Labyrinth?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,109 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lake Powell Kayak Water Taxi Options?

No. There are no short cuts. You can shave a little distance if you put in at Wahweap and use the Castle Rock cut. But you will still have between 20 to 25 miles, one way, of open water to cover.

Maybe you should consider somewhere closer than Labyrinth. Like around Lone Rock, you can actually camp on the beach there (where there are flush toilets). Explore that portion of the lake. Or paddle over to Warm Creek from Wahweap...a distance of maybe 5 miles or less.

Late October, the lake is pretty deserted. I'd be concerned about being up at Labyrinth, having a problem and not being able to get help. Cell phone service on the lake is very spotty. And there probably won't be any passerbys you could flag down. Something to think about.

Edited: 04 October 2017, 07:04
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lake Powell Kayak Water Taxi Options?

You could rent a 26-foot deck boat from Antelope Point for $375 (a day) and haul your kayaks on that.. doesn't save you money, but you could take your kayaks anywhere you want and have a place to store some extra gear and food... as Connie says, options are limited...

Edited: 04 October 2017, 11:28
Reply to: Lake Powell Kayak Water Taxi Options?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted