We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap

The Woodlands, Texas
2 posts
Save Topic
5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap

I'm interested in a suggested 5 day house boating itinerary from Wahweap. We will have a powerboat also. Mum & Dad plus kids aged 16, 14, 12, 9 and 5. We are an adventurous family.

8 replies to this topic
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
17,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap

With just 5 days, here’s what I suggest based on 30+ years houseboating on Lake Powell. From Wahweap, head up lake to Padre Bay which is about 25 miles. There are several side canyons on both sides of Padre Bay that should have suitable beaches for a houseboat. We prefer beaches that get morning sun and early afternoon shade. You will want to send a couple of people out in the speed boat in advance of the houseboat to scout for a beach. Leave someone on the beach to hold it for the houseboat while the person in the speed boat goes back to the houseboat. Be sure that the person left behind has plenty of water, maybe some snacks and protection from the sun as they may be there for awhile.

Since beaching and securing a houseboat is work and you have a young inexperienced crew, when you find that beach, stay put for the duration of your rental. Use the houseboat as a base from which you explore Lake Powell’s many side canyons, or a trip to Rainbow Bridge. You may want to rent a ski tube that you pull behind the speed boat to add another elevenfold fun.

A safety tip...while the houseboat and speed boat should come with life vests, they may not fit your kids; especially the two youngest. Make a stop at Walmart in Page and purchase life jackets for the youngest children and maybe the 14 year depending on how big he/she is. We require that any child on our houseboat age 5 and under must wear a life jacket when on outer decks and upper deck of the houseboat, when on the beach and when the houseboat is in motion. If your 9 year old is not an competent swimmer, he/she should wear one under the same circumstances.

Edited: 08 February 2018, 09:31
Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
105 Reviews
Lake Powell, UT
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap

I think Connie's plan is a good one. Regarding the life vests, while the boats will come with vests, there are better ones they have in the sheds at the marina where they rent water skis and tubes, and if you ask them, they'll let you have a few of those--and they come in many sizes, and are of better quality--so likely will not need a Walmart trip for that. And it's also a requirement for rental boats that anyone under age 12 MUST wear a life vest when the boat is underway and they are outside the cabin on a deck or the roof...

Personally, while I think the Padre Bay area is good for a houseboat spot, if you're going to pick just one place, my choice would be to pick a spot a little farther up the lake, a little closer to Dangling Rope Marina, where supplies are available, and also closer to some of the better attractions to be accessed from a ski boat, including Rainbow Bridge, but also many of the other more interesting side canyons on the lake... Possible options could include Friendship Cove, Rock Creek Bay, or Dungeon Canyon, but several other less obvious and smaller spots in that general area are also possible...

Edited: 08 February 2018, 16:00
Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
105 Reviews
Lake Powell, UT
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Salt Lake City, Lake Powell
Level Contributor
17,608 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap

Since we don't rent a houseboat or speed boats out of the marina, I didn't know about the life jacket requirement for children under 12 or that there were kid size life jackets available at the marinas. That's good information to have.

The Woodlands, Texas
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap

This is wonderful information. Thanks so much for your help.

Anderson, South...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap

We also will be renting an house boat on Lake Powell this June. I was surfing for answers to your exact question. The replies helped thanks

Flagstaff, Arizona
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap

Connie, do you have any suggestions on an itinerary for a four day, no powerboat, houseboat from Antelope marina? It's just myself, my husband and our six year old. We would love some peaceful, yet fun ideas! we do have two kayaks but like i said no motorboat. is four days enough? should i try to grab a 5th if we wanted to see rainbow bridge? can we see rainbow bridge with that amount of time and no powerboat? Thanks so much! Ali

Edited: 24 May 2018, 11:46
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap

With a four day houseboat trip and no motorboat, you will not see Rainbow Bridge. It would be two long days just to get there... so even a fifth day doesn’t help that much since your first and last days are eaten to some extent by check-in and check-out procedures.

My suggestion on your first day is to park the houseboat near Labyrinth Canyon, which is maybe 15 miles from the marina. Kayaks are perfect there, because that canyon has been designated as a no wake zone... nice canyon to explore.

Anchoring the houseboat will be a bit of a challenge with just two adults. But Inassume you have a smaller one with just just two anchor lines, which is easier. But still, one of you will need to stay at the wheel while the other does a lot of the Lone and anchor work. You may decide one time is enough, in which case your itinerary will be limited.

If that’s the case, a spot between FacevandvLabyrinth Canyons might work, do you could explore either in a kayak. But this is a busy part of the lake, so such spots may be hard to find.

You could also find some smaller corner off Padre Bay (day near Cookie Jar Butte), and use it as a base to paddle kayaks from, but you are not near narrow canyons right there.

The mouth of West Canyon is another possibility just a bit farther up the lake.

Good luck! Have fun!

Edited: 24 May 2018, 22:30
Mentioned in this post
Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge
105 Reviews
Lake Powell, UT
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,630 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap

Lots of typos in that last message..sorry! I hope you can figure those out..

Reply to: 5 day Houseboat Itinerary for Lake Powell from Wahweap
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted