We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips for kayaking Lone Rock Canyon?

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
289 posts
91 reviews
Tips for kayaking Lone Rock Canyon?

We would like to kayak Lone Rock Canyon this summer, but the guided trips are really expensive so we were thinking of just renting kayaks and heading off on our own, starting at Lone Rock Beach. We have all kayaked rivers and lakes for a number of years, but I don't know if I would call us truly "experienced" kayakers. Any tips? Best time of day? What about kayaking in the evening? About how far is it from the beach through the canyon or about how long does it take? Is it easy to get lost in the canyon? Is the water pretty smooth or is it fairly choppy? Suggestions for places to explore?

I would appreciate any suggestions from people who have been there/done this!

Thanks!

4 replies to this topic
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
1. Re: Tips for kayaking Lone Rock Canyon?

Yes, it's totally possible to take your own kayak from Lone Rock Beach. I'd guess it's a between 0.6 and 0.75 miles to the mouth of the canyon (on the shorter end if you start from the far left end of the beach). Once you're in the canyon, you might go a bit more than another half mile before you reach the end, and from there it would be possible to continue on foot... There's no specific destination, just a nice place to spend some time...

It's a shallow canyon, gently sloping to the side, rising perhaps 400 feet over a horizontal distance of about a half mile on either side. Not the most spectacular canyon at Lake Powell, but a very nice place to visit...

It is impossible to get lost in that canyon; it has a couple of very short side canyons, which you can kayak in and out of in a few minutes...

As for the time to get there, it takes as long as it normally takes you to kayak about a mile... I don't know--15-20 minutes one way? A little longer if you take your time...

It's an easy kayak trip. If you go early in the morning, the lake is at its glassiest; winds tend to pick up in the afternoon. In the evening, winds can die down too, but not as consistently smooth as in the morning...

Edited: 27 February 2018, 09:00
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
2. Re: Tips for kayaking Lone Rock Canyon?

...and the only place it might be copy is in the open water of Wahweap Bay, which you cross in the kayak...but most boats don't go that direction, since most of the lake is the other direction...

...it should be pretty smooth in the canyon itself...

Edited: 27 February 2018, 09:03
Atascadero...
Destination Expert
for Lake Powell
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
3. Re: Tips for kayaking Lone Rock Canyon?

..."choppy", not "copy"...

Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
289 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Tips for kayaking Lone Rock Canyon?

Thank you so, so much! This is very helpful information. We are already going to hike the lower and upper Antelope Canyons, so we wanted to do something a little different. If you have any suggestions for somewhere else, please let me know. And thank you again~

Reply to: Tips for kayaking Lone Rock Canyon?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted