We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer to Lake Powell

West Chester...
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Timer to Lake Powell

Am looking for some practical tips for a 6 day trip to Lake Powell; will be on houseboat; what to bring? what to pack? what little or big things not forget? what to see? I am a first timer here and a bit uncertain about what I am getting into. I appreciate your thoughts.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
Level Contributor
18,699 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer to Lake Powell

Welcome to the forum.

A great place to start would be to read JFR Califonia's Lake Powell tips found a little further down in the Lake Powell Forum.There is a ton of info in that thread.Just click on Lake Powell forum to see it. That will get you started, and I'm sure you will come back with more questions after reading it.

Edited: 06 September 2011, 04:51
Parker, Arizona
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer to Lake Powell

Sunscreen! Hat! Camera! This is a link to a great site about house boating on lake powell.

http://silgro.com/Houseboat101.htm

West Chester...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer to Lake Powell

Thanks for the link and advice; am really looking forward to the trip

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer to Lake Powell

I recommend blocks of ice, that will last much longer than cubed, that can stock the deck coolers to hold all the drinks. They're convenient for "help youself" service to passengers of all ages and saves loosing cool air from repeatedly opening & closing the refrigerator in the galley, that can be used for food. An ice pick will work on the blocks for cubes in glasses. You won't then be making trips to Dangling Rope Marina to buy ice, although their ice cream bars are wonderful on a hot summer day, when refueling the toys or tag along boat.

We always pack pretty much as we do when camping, with as much advance food prep as possible. We like to eat good when on the lake so homefries, rice, etc, are cooked in advance and frozen in ziplocs to provide their own cooling. I clean, trim and chop veggies in advance, dry goods, spices, coffees, tea, condiments all come out of their original packaging and into ziplocs to save space & weight. Meats, milk & juice in cartons are frozen to reduce need for ice as is bottled water that starts out as ice and becomes drinkable as it melts. Rolls of paper towels are both napkins and cleaning tools.

Don't forget the foldup camp chairs for beach bonfires. A Duraflame for each night (all in one plastic bin) serve as both kindling to start a fire and a supplement to logs to avoid hauling a lot of wood. You can probably guess that we love campfires. It is also possible to scavenge washed down dead fall in some canyons, but not often a reliable source in every canyon.

We take a fold-up camp shovel if there are more than two adults so that two anchors holes can be dug at once & we take four, 2ft. long 2x4 boards to place in the bottom of the anchor holes with the flukes locked over them, before the anchors are buried. On the chance of a good blow during the night, the anchors don't drag.

A pair of binoculars is crucial to read canyon & channel markers from a distance and polarized sunglasses to reduce sun glare off the water, particularly for the person at the helm and the upper deck lookout who can alert to barely submerged rocks. It's mostly a deep lake, but the water level changes daily so obstacles can appear when motoring closer to shore. Due to the size of the lake and it's almost 2,000 mile shoreline, it's not possible for the park service to mark all dangers. A good rule of thumb is; steep canyon walls above water mean the same beneath, but sloping or shallow shoreline means the potential for the same, barely submerged and a possible danger that can't often be seen from the captain's chair.

All of these things have probably been listed in the links suggested, but these are quick tips that I can offer that you might not consider when planning your first Powell houseboat experience.

It's a magical lake and when treated with respect and care, will provide a lifetime of memories. A week after your return you'll be planning the next trip.

We look forward to your glowing report.

Randi

5. Re: First Timer to Lake Powell

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 12:20