We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Minimum connection time at SLC airport

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
Minimum connection time at SLC airport

Hi all

I am flying from Londo, UK to Portland, OR and have an hour in Salt lake city. This will be with Virgin/Delta all in the same booking but I was concerned that it seems too short. Does anyone know if we need to go through immigration at Salt Lake City as i know that usually takes a while!

Many thanks in advance for your help

5 replies to this topic
New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
56 reviews
1. Re: Minimum connection time at SLC airport

Apparently 60 minutes is the minimum connection time at SLC for international to domestic and yes you will be doing immigration and customs. It does seem short given the things that have to be done but Virgin/Delta do it all the time so they should know. Also in our limited experience the immigration formalities can be done in a blink at SLC. So with a single ticket booking we'd say leave the stress to the airline but be sure to be quick on your feet.

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
21,477 posts
451 reviews
2. Re: Minimum connection time at SLC airport

In general, you should be OK. That flight gets in mid-afternoon, I think, so you would have multiple Portland options should you misconnect. You will find immigration at SLC pretty easy as there are only a handful of international flights each day. It goes quickly, even with foreigners. You will need to claim your bags and go through customs, but can quickly give them back to Delta right at exit of customs. There is a security gate right at the exit to take you directly into the domestic gates.

I would lookup the remaining SLC-PDX flights for the day so you at least know your options.

Good luck.

London, United...
Level Contributor
35 posts
43 reviews
3. Re: Minimum connection time at SLC airport

Thank you everyone for your very helpful messages! Much appreciated. I ended up going for the longer connection to just save myself some stress (layover is now almost 3 hours). I realise this is excessive and from people's experiences sounds like an hour is doable but I just wanted to take it easy in the end. thanks again though!

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
71 reviews
4. Re: Minimum connection time at SLC airport

There's a direct flight fro London to SLC now?

Torrey, Utah
Destination Expert
for Torrey, Capitol Reef National Park
Level Contributor
1,691 posts
71 reviews
5. Re: Minimum connection time at SLC airport

I can of course look that up myself, and yes there is, but it's Virgin Atlantic operated by Delta. No thanks, I'll stick to Vegas-London direct operated by Virgin.

Reply to: Minimum connection time at SLC airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted