We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Park to visit

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Which Park to visit

Ok eveyone I need some advice.

we have a September flight into Salt Lake City. We were planning to head to Flaming Gorge national Rec Area.

I have to tell you: I am spoiled when it comes to traveling. I have been to so many places in my lifetime.

We LOVE Zion and Bryce and are giving up a trip there this year to try something new.

We love to hike Zion, and were wondering if Flaming Gorge will have enough trails to hike to take up 5 days, or should we also go somewhere else on the way from Salt Lake city.

Could we get our hiking in Flaming Gorge in 2 days. And maybe one day on the Lake or a river raft trip.

We river canoe/camp a lot here is Wisconsin, so that is not a must do. Also have rafted the Gauly and New river a few times, in West Virginia. So we don't have to fit in the rafting trip. Mainly want to hike and see the beautiful scenery. And may want to fish one day. Is there another park on the way or not too far out of the way to spend some time at.

Sorry this is so long. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Salt Lake City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah
Level Contributor
16,431 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Park to visit

There isn't really a park there except the Dinosaur NM, but there are the Uinta Mountains which have a lot of wilderness areas. I'm not as familiar with hiking in the eastern section. I'm assuming you want day hikes?

There are scenic drives like the North Slope road, the Red Cloud/Dry fork loop and the Sheep Creek/Spirit Lake loop. Each of those would have hiking trailheads into the heart of the mountain. I would recommend you get a hiking guide to the Eastern Uintas to find what you are looking for.

Here are some just to get you started: http://www.utah.com/vernal/hiking_trails.htm

There are a couple river trips that would be worth doing. Though the good ones take more than a day, like through Dinosaur Nt Monument to the Confluence of the Yampa/Green, or through Desolation Canyon. You might enjoy the one day Split Mountain trip.

I'm planning a week long trip to this area for my family. It has been years since we spent any long period of time here, even though I have family roots here and used to come more often. So I'm looking forward to getting to know it better myself.

Pixie is the local expert.

Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
10 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Park to visit

The fishing is great at Flaming Gorge. Just below the dam for monster trout or in the reservoir itself. As far as hiking, there is not enough diversity to keep me entertained for 5 days.

I would recommend a stop in the Uintas (depending on weather by September... they are over 10,000 feet!) for some great hikes in the mountains and along the river and it's not too far out of the way. The mountains run along the west side of Flaming Gorge, but you have to enter from the north or south, and you would basically go past one or the other entrances depending on which way you take to FG.

Dinasaur National Monument is also interesting for a day. The raft trip here is pretty tame, though. You would need a few days to really get a good raft trip in!

Park City, Utah
Destination Expert
for Utah, Winter Sports
Level Contributor
20,406 posts
449 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Park to visit

We've been out here (from Wisconsin) for 20 years. We've explored a bit around Flaming Gorge, but never found it that interesting. What I would recommend, though, is a rafting trip through nearby Dinosaur National Monument's Lodore Canyon. One of my friends runs Holiday Expeditions and they have a great trip through there:

http://www.bikeraft.com/

Have fun. Where are you from in Wisconsin?

Tom

4. Re: Which Park to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 11:20