We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Puffin tours

Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Puffin tours

We will be traveling to Maine in August, 2019. I was looking into the Puffin tours thinking it would be a fun thing to do, but at $150 pp, that’s a bit out of reach. Are there any less expensive tours out there?

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
6 replies to this topic
port republic
Level Contributor
2,482 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Puffin tours

Capt Fish audobon tour is $41, Google Mainepuffin.com

Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Puffin tours

Thank you!

south carolina
Level Contributor
58 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Puffin tours

Unless you go with Bold Coast Charters out of Cutler, you won't get to land on an island and see the puffins close up -- really close up. The price is much steeper than the $41 quoted above, but it's worth it for the experience. Weather permitting, you'll spend about an hour in a blind with puffins hopping around the rocks just outside, walking about on the roof, flying to and from the water, etc. If you're lucky, you'll get some shots of them bringing fish to their hatchlings.

Olney, Maryland
Level Contributor
67 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Puffin tours

We did a puffin tour in Maine several years ago, out of the Rockland area. Puffins are small and really fast. We did see some from a distance, mixed in with gulls and other birds. I would recommend other water tours to see lighthouses and seals and learn about lobsters. Some of the boats pull up lobster traps. Cost is about $40 per person on the trips out of Bar Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Rockland
Rockland
Mid Coast Maine, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Puffin tours

I agree with Bonnie. People think puffins are the size of penguins. In reality, they are more the size of robins.

PA
Level Contributor
883 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Puffin tours

Our family really loved seeing many puffins on our whale watch trip out of Bar Harbor. I was able to easily get many amazing photos with a super zoom point and shoot camera. We all agreed that the trip where you can be in a blind is on our to do list. The whale watch was long and cold, so I wouldn’t recommend that tour just to see puffins. Puffins are small, but if you enjoy bird watching, really want to see puffins, and have realistic expectations, it is worth your time.

Mentioned in this post
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Reply to: Puffin tours
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lubec