We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay while visiting our daughter in Edmunds, ME

Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay while visiting our daughter in Edmunds, ME

Daughter will be at Friedman's Field House for 3 weeks in August, having never been to Maine, we thought we'd take a weekend and visit. (we live in Boston area) Where to stay and where to have dinner? Any suggestions welcome

Edited: 09 July 2014, 01:00
Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay while visiting our daughter in Edmunds, ME

I'd stay at either the Home Port Inn or The Peacock House in Lubec, Maine. I'd have dinner at The Inn on the Wharf in Lubec. None of those places are exactly luxury or fine dining. But they are good food and homey lodging. There isn't a wide choice of places to stay or eat in true Downeast Maine. You might be surprised at just how rural and non-touristy everything is.

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Boston...
Level Contributor
11 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay while visiting our daughter in Edmunds, ME

Thanks so much! The closest tourist area in Maine would be ? Bangor

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,177 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay while visiting our daughter in Edmunds, ME

Bangor isn't really much of a tourist area. The nearest tourist area would be Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor.

Mentioned in this post
Bangor
Bangor
Maine
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,046 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay while visiting our daughter in Edmunds, ME

Time for a true reality check... I have relatives near Edmunds and know the area fairly well... Edumnds is a Township, not a town, meaning it isn't really a town with organized local government, municipal services, a downtown (in the traditional sense) or a lot of local services (even it's postal services come from nearby Dennnysville -- a town of less than 500 people itself). Edmund's is best known as being home to a major section of the Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge and Cobscook Bay State Park. We're definitely talking rural downeastern Maine here...

The nearest population centers of any size, with choices of accommodations, restaurants etc. would be Machias (about 2,000 people), Lubec (about 1,300 people) and Eastport (about 1.300 people). Driving distances from Edmunds would be about 20-25 miles to any of those communities.

As Bonniemaev points out, the nearest "tourist" community of any size, with a wider variety of accommodations and restaurants would be Ellsworth, ME, about 75 miles away.

A couple of alternnatives to consider: 1) contact the administration at Freidman's and see where they recommend for visitor accommodations, and 2) in addition to Lubec, check possible accommodations on Campobello Island, Canada --- just across the international bridge from Lubec....but remember that you'll need a passport to get back and forth between Campobello and Lubec (suggested as a possibility only because family friends report having some great vacations there in small, but clean and friendly cabins/motels -- sorry but I don't have specific names at my fingertips).

Mentioned in this post
Maine
Maine
United States
Ellsworth
Ellsworth
DownEast and Acadia Maine, ME
Boston...
Level Contributor
12,881 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay while visiting our daughter in Edmunds, ME

I stayed at the Home Port Inn a few years ago, and unless it's changed significantly, it's lovely.

6. Re: Where to stay while visiting our daughter in Edmunds, ME

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2016, 09:15
Get answers to your questions about Lubec