We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

General Lubec, Eastport, Campobello, and St Andrews info

New England
Level Contributor
246 posts
256 reviews
Save Topic
General Lubec, Eastport, Campobello, and St Andrews info

Hello, we are planning to travel to Lubec and Campobello in mid October and possibly also go to Eastport and St Andrews.

A few questions:

-how far of drive time is it from Lubec to St Andrews?

- how much time should we devote to Lubec and Campobello? Could we see both in a day?

-are there any whale watching trips after October 15?

-Are sights open after October 15? We will be there the week of October 13...but not sure if we will get to Lubec etc until late in the week.

-if seeing all these areas would it make sense to stay in St Andrews? Or is it too far of a drive?

-if we are only going to take one whale watching and sights tour ...where should we take the tour from? I see you can take tours from Lubec, Campobello and St. Andrews...what is the difference? What is the best tour to take?

-what is the best restaurant for seafood?

-what should we not miss?

Thank you for helping!

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: General Lubec, Eastport, Campobello, and St Andrews info

You could see both Lubec and Campobello in a day. Although the visitor center at Roosevelt Campobello will be open, the Roosevelt Cottage will NOT be open after October 13th, Columbus Day/Canadian Thanksgiving. The visitor center is very nice. I recommend a stop. Then a drive around the island. Herring Cove is a nice stop as well as the lighthouse on the very northern tip of the island.

I don't know about whale watches. But very possibly there will be none because the whales are mostly gone by that time. Plus it will be very, very cold out on the water.

As for seafood, any place still open in the Eastport, Lubec, Campobello area would be the place to eat. There are very few places in that area. Family Fisheries is good on Campobello. But I don't know if they stay open after Columbus Day.

It might be a good idea to stay in St. Andrew's. Surely it would have a wider choice of accommodation. Eastport has very little except one not-so-great motel. Lubec has a couple of nice B&Bs. I see the Peacock House (very nice in Lubec) is open until November 1st.

The drive from Lubec to St. Andrew's will depend on how much time it takes to cross the border. I don't really know. I've seen it take some time, what with trucks and stuff.

New England
Level Contributor
246 posts
256 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: General Lubec, Eastport, Campobello, and St Andrews info

Thank you for the feedback!

I see you are in Bar Harbor and that is another spot we are planning to stop at and enjoy the area.

Would you mind telling me if shops and restaurants and tours close at Columbus Day or if they might be open through October 19? We are in the area through 10/19/14 and are trying to figure out when to be in what location. We are thinking of staying 2 nights in Bar Harbor...maybe at the Bar Harbor Inn so to be right in town. We also considered The Claremont Hotel in Southwest Harbor but we are wondering about driving into Bar Harbor etc. and being to removed.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: General Lubec, Eastport, Campobello, and St Andrews info

Everything in Bar Harbor pretty much stays open until November 1st, partly because we have cruise ships coming into harbor until then, although they are only in port from around nine a.m. until four p.m.

Things do slow down here after Columbus Day and lodging prices go down. Either place you mention would be fine although staying right in Bar Harbor would give you more dining and strolling choices. Of course the real draw in the area is Acadia National Park which is stunning at all times of the year.

Cincinnati, Oh
Level Contributor
462 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: General Lubec, Eastport, Campobello, and St Andrews info

don't forget about what is needed to cross the border.

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
7,180 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: General Lubec, Eastport, Campobello, and St Andrews info

It's been several years since I've made that particular trip, but I seem to remember Lubec to Saint Andrews being between an hour and a half and an hour and three-quarters of actual "driving" time -- plus whatever time it takes to clear Customs when you cross the border.

As you do your planning, also keep in mind that New Brunswick is in the Atlantic Time Zone, while Maine is in the Eastern (US) time zone.... meaning that Canada is an hour "ahead" of Maine and you need to set your watch ahead an hour when you cross the border (i.e. 3:00PM in Maine = 4:00PM in Canada)... can be an important consideration if you're trying to get somewhere before it closes...

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
290 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: General Lubec, Eastport, Campobello, and St Andrews info

When in Eastport check out Raye's Mustard - The last stone ground mustard mill in the US. http://rayesmustard.com/

Summer Hours (Memorial Day - Christmas)

M-F 8:30 am - 5 pm

Saturday and Sunday - 10 am - 5 pm

In Lubec, Betsy Ross Lodging is a cute place to stay. Very friendly owners.

If you like a good sunrise, catch the earliest in the nation - on Thursday, October 15, 2015 it's at 6:15AM - See the entire month here - thesunrisetimes.com/Maine_to_Massachusetts/L…

For CI, make sure you go to East Quoddy Head at low tide if you want to walk out to the actual lighthouse. You can only see it from the shore at high tide.

7. Re: General Lubec, Eastport, Campobello, and St Andrews info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2016, 00:17
Get answers to your questions about Lubec