We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 days in Lubec...

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Topic
3 days in Lubec...

We originally planned a trip to Acadia, but got intrigued by Lubec coupled with the non-availability in Acadia made me plan a 3 day trip to Lubec. We will be staying at sunset pt. What are some of the things that we can do around lubec for 3 days....thx for the info.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
7 replies to this topic
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 days in Lubec...

If you take your passports with you, you can cross the short international bridge from Lubec to Campobello Island, which is in Canada. There you can tour the Roosevelt house and have "Tea with Eleanor". tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Products/ECs/TeawithE…

There is also a nice beach and hiking trail on Campobello. And a lighthouse. http://www.visitcampobello.com/

You can travel down to Machias and some of the state parks in that area. You can bike on the sunrise trail. You can hike on the bold coast trail.

You can take the drive from Lubec over to Eastport. It was once a very important East Coast Port. Now it's much smaller. But it has some shops and restaurants and a whale watch boat. There is sometimes a summer ferry from Lubec to Eastport. Eastport also has the Western Hemisphere's largest tidal whirlpool: http://www.oldsowwhirlpool.com/

You can make a day trip down to Acadia National Park, stopping at Schoodic Peninsula on the way.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Schoodic Peninsula
Schoodic Peninsula
357 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 days in Lubec...

Thanks Bonnie! Really appreciate your time(both here and acadia forums)! My parents dont have passports so probably it will be within Lubec/Eastport area. Which place is great to see the fireworks? Eastport or Lubec?

I know there are ton of things to do in Acadia, but if we have just two days(July 1 and July 2) which ones you suggest? like a top 5 list I guess...

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
7,310 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 days in Lubec...

I don't know about fireworks. But in Acadia I'd start with a stop at the Visitor's Center, just north of Bar Harbor. Right from there you can drive the Park Loop Road with stops at Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliffs, Jordan Pond, and the top of Cadillac Mountain. A longer stop at Jordan Pond will allow you to have lemonade and popovers (or a full lunch) on the tea lawn overlooking the pond. You can do all that in only about three hours.

You can stop most anywhere along the Loop Road to take photographs or take a short walk. A visit to the other villages on Mount Desert Island is also pleasant. Northeast Harbor is a sailing town with a very sheltered harbor. The Asticou Gardens and the Thuya Gardens are near there, if that is of interest.

Near Southwest Harbor is the Bass Harbor Lighthouse and also Thurston's Lobster Pound for a nice lunch on the water, watching the lobster boats.

Just walking around Bar Harbor is pleasant. There are two village parks, one waterfront. There is a Shore Path, just a half mile long that is a nice stroll, with the fir-clad islands and boats on one side, and the old mansions on the other. There is also the tidal bar from the end of Bridge Street to Bar Island. It is exposed for about four hours at the time of low tide. You can walk right on the ocean floor without getting your feet wet.

Mentioned in this post
Acadia National Park
Acadia National Park
Mount Desert Island, ME
Bar Harbor
Bar Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Park Loop Road
Park Loop Road
1,375 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Sand Beach
Sand Beach
748 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Thunder Hole
Thunder Hole
865 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Jordan Pond
Jordan Pond
1,024 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Cadillac Mountain
Cadillac Mountain
2,920 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Southwest Harbor
Southwest Harbor
Mount Desert Island, ME
Thurston's Lobster Pound
Thurston's Lobster Pound
1,375 Reviews
Bernard, ME
Shore Path
Shore Path
1,728 Reviews
Mount Desert Island, ME
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
282 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 days in Lubec...

Congrats on going to an out of the way spot. Lubec is a wonderful community and Sunset Point RV Park is great as well.

It's a shame you can't get out to Campobello Island because East Quoddy Head Lighthouse is amazing.

Things to do -

Relax.

Wake up to see the sunrise - This week it's about 4:43am. Sunset Point has a deck you can go up on.

Walk in Johnson Bay during low tide (right next to the camp). Collect sea glass and enjoy. not [possible at high tide as the water rushes into the bay.

Visit West Quoddy Head Light in Lubec. Some great trails that take you through different zones. And you can hike down to the coast. While there you can visit the Eastern most Point in the US.

Get lobster in Lubec and cook it at the camp.

Decide which has better chocolate - Monica's or Bayside. (I vote Bayside.)

Head over the Eastport for a few hours.

Stop at Raye's for great mustard - http://rayesmustard.com/.

If you were a fan of the old FOX show Murder in Small Town X visit the statue from the show - http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/11416

Go a bit further north on Rt 1 from Eastport to the 45th Parallel - http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/12000

Enjoy! I can't wait to get back to Lubec!

Mentioned in this post
West Quoddy Head Light
West Quoddy Head Light
571 Reviews
Lubec, ME
Champaign, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 days in Lubec...

Here's a post about what we did in Lubec a few years back...some of it is out of date but not all...it's a magical place.

…typepad.com/the_sandwich_life/2011/07/lubec…

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
37 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 days in Lubec...

this is awesome! thanks so much for all the info. Really excited and looking fwd to the trip

Lewiston, Maine
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 days in Lubec...

Another thing worth seeing in Lubec is the West Quoddy lighthouse which has a small museum on the ground floor. The area around the lighthouse is a state park which is also worth walking around. There are several trails of varying length. You can get a map at the entrance to the park. There is a small fee on the honor system for entering the park. The lighthouse is the easternmost point in the US by the way.

Reply to: 3 days in Lubec...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lubec