We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eats and Travel Recommendation Appreciated

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
629 posts
259 reviews
Save Topic
Eats and Travel Recommendation Appreciated

Hello Fellow Travelers, My wife and I are well traveled and love to go off the beaten path in search of authentic and good eats. We are making our first trip to San Antonio in late September (we have relocated within a 7 hour drive). While walking through many parks, plazas, and local markets in Arizona and Mexico, we often sampled Churros, Elote, and Esquites. We are also looking for true Texas Chili and good Tex Mex food. In our 7 day trip we will have a car for side trips and will make a BBQ pilgrimage to Lockhart, TX in search of great brisket and sausage. Friends have brought us back samples from the Kreuz Market and it was very good. We intend to sample several places. We resided in an area of the country that BBQ was a noun meaning P.I.G., Hog. Therefore our focus will be on beef. I am not afraid of standing in a line for a realistic amount of time, 5+ hours in line, beginning at the crack of dawn for a chance to get food is not realistic. Please kindly give me recommendations if possible. Thank you in advance. We hope to enjoy repeat visits to your area. 1NCF

Mentioned in this post
Arizona
Arizona
United States
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Texas
Texas
United States
5 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Eats and Travel Recommendation Appreciated

You may visit Rosario’s Mexican Cafe Y Cantina or La Fonda on Main for good Tex-Mex food.

Mentioned in this post
La Fonda on Main
La Fonda on Main
939 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Grapevine, Texas
Level Contributor
1,194 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Eats and Travel Recommendation Appreciated

Although it is the "official dish of Texas", chili isn't as common as you'd think. Good BBQ is a lot easier to find on a restaurant menu in Texas than chili. Also, chili tends to be a winter dish, since it is best eaten when you want to be warmed up inside and out by a good bowl of spicy red! If you were here in the fall, I'd recommend looking at the CASI (Chili Appreciation Society Intl) website and finding a chili Cookoff to attend. Those are pretty few during the summer simply due to the heat, and that they are held outdoors. If you happen to get up in the DFW area, check out Tolbert's restaurant in downtown Grapevine. It's run by the daughter of Frank X Tolbert, who founded CASI, and they serve a nice bowl of red all year round.

Mentioned in this post
Texas
Texas
United States
Tolbert's
Tolbert's
338 Reviews
Grapevine, TX
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
712 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Eats and Travel Recommendation Appreciated

Don't have any recommendations for chili in San Antonio but second the recommendation of Rosario's. Not a fan of the food at La Fonda on Main Street.

Edited: 08 June 2018, 00:06
Mentioned in this post
La Fonda on Main
La Fonda on Main
939 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
San Antonio, TX
Destination Expert
for San Antonio
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Eats and Travel Recommendation Appreciated

Favorite chili in San Antonio is Pacific Moon https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie…

Austin - Texas Chili Parlor https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Revie… Be sure to get a Mad Dog Margarita; I also like the chili at Green Mesquite http://www.greenmesquite.net/ Their wings are fantastic

Mentioned in this post
Austin
Austin
Texas
Texas Chili Parlor
Texas Chili Parlor
443 Reviews
Austin, TX
La Margarita Restaurant
La Margarita Restaurant
1,070 Reviews
San Antonio, TX
Corpus Christi...
Destination Expert
for Corpus Christi
Level Contributor
6,573 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Eats and Travel Recommendation Appreciated

They don't come more hole in the wall than Pollos Asados Los Nortenos... Amazing BBQ chicken, yes...chicken!

Reply to: Eats and Travel Recommendation Appreciated
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;