We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay and what to do in Santa Fe

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
Where to stay and what to do in Santa Fe

Hi there- My husband and I are traveling cross country and are stopping in Santa Fe for 2 night, 1 day for activity. We are also traveling with our dog. I have a couple questions for people who know the area well

1) I have reservations at both La Fonda on the Plaza and Las Palomas. Can anyone say which they prefer?

2) If you had one day in Santa Fe, what would do? I shoudl mention that we are not super touristy people and prefer authentic culture and art to tourist attractions. We are New Yorkers ;)

3) If the activities are not pet friendly, I might look into getting a pet sitter for the day. I can also ask the hotels, but please let me know if anyone on here has a recommendation.

Thank you!

3 replies to this topic
Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
972 posts
216 reviews
1. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Santa Fe

I have no recommendations on hotels (when you live here, you don't stay in hotels...) or dog-friendly activities (other than the fact that Santa Fe has lots of parks and trails), but one thing about Santa Fe: the "authentic culture and art" ARE the "tourist attractions," to a far greater extent than most destinations in the United States. Example, one of many: the museum on the Plaza may be a "tourist attraction," but the presence of Native American artisans selling their wares right outside it is a normal part of the "authentic culture" as well as a source of Pueblo pottery, jewelry, etc., that can sometimes be of high quality. Santa Fe is not a place where tourists are quarantined in carefully restricted enclaves; it is a place where visitors mingle with people going about living their lives.

When is your trip? The answer to that will shape the specific things-to-do recommendations because of the impact of weather.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,090 posts
773 reviews
2. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Santa Fe

Just to get you started: Consider which of the following might be of interest to you.

A. In Santa Fe, there are 3 basic areas to explore for those with your tastes.

1. The Plaza area for blocks around...art gallery and other shopping, fabulous dining, historic architecture and several museums.

2. Museum Hill with its 4 world class museums, nice cafe and botanic gardens across the road.

3. Canyon Road arts district. A one mile long...oldest street in Santa Fe and architectural delight. Lined with galleries all along the way on both sides and down alleyways and side streets along it. Plus it has outdoor sculptures and some cafes and the famous Compound restaurant.

Santa Fe is pet friendly!!! I have never seen so many dogs on leash than I have in Santa Fe. I believe you will enjoy La Fonda the most for its location closer to the Plaza, Canyon Road and Museum Hill. Also look at the Inn on the Alameda or the Inn at Loretto. You cannot go wrong with those or La Fonda.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
18 posts
3. Re: Where to stay and what to do in Santa Fe

Thank you so much MaryEllenM27. I actually read another post from someone who mentioned the Inn at Alameda. So now i have a reservation there as well! But i think I will choose between La Fonda and the Inn. Thank you for your info about the various neighborhoods. That is so helpful.

Reply to: Where to stay and what to do in Santa Fe
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted