We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: Santa Fe, January 2015

Aurora, Illinois
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Santa Fe, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,657 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: Santa Fe, January 2015

QUICK TRIP TO SANTA FE

I hadn’t been able to get back to New Mexico since late 2012…what’s up with that? So to rectify this I planned a quick trip for Tuesday-Saturday, January 6-10 in 2015. This was to be a trip revisiting favorite places, whether museums, restaurants, or spa.

With the budget being a bit tight this time around, I used accumulated points to fly for free from Chicago to ABQ on Southwest Airlines. I also had some points with Enterprise and was able to get a 4 day rental for just under $100 from the airport…which is unusually low from but always worth checking!

I also searched for more inexpensive accommodations this time around. Previously, I’ve stayed at The Madeleine near the Plaza, and I’m still a big fan and will return. But I think I found another gem. I settled on the SILVER SADDLE MOTEL down on Cerrillos Road. So while not near the Plaza, it’s such a short drive that it really made no difference in terms of my time. But financially? The cost was just $54.14 a night! I ended up loving this old Route 66 motor court style motel. The place is VERY clean and the proprietors and staff quite friendly. I stayed in the Billy the Kid room and enjoyed the slightly kitschy décor (that didn’t take it too far). The Mexican tiled tub/shower was quite a nice touch. [Note that some of the rooms still have the old, smaller showers from its true motor court days. These are being gradually upgraded. All the info you need for the status of each room is on the website.] As in any old motor court motel, the rooms are on the smaller size and the walls a little thin. But neither of these things proved to be a problem at all. The Silver Saddle also includes a very nice continental breakfast each morning…cereal, fruit, pastries, boiled eggs, coffee, tea, juice, so this was a nice money saver for the trip. I met a lot of great and friendly people during this breakfast time and had some very interesting conversations. I will definitely stay here again. http://www.santafesilversaddlemotel.com/

12 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,155 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Trip Report: Santa Fe, January 2015

Thanks for the report. Zia Diner and Jalapeno's have closed. And Pachamama has also closed, moved to Corrales. May more new places for you to check out when you return!!!

Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,558 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Trip Report: Santa Fe, January 2015

Nice TR

We like Ten Thousand Waves

Thanks

Reply to: Trip Report: Santa Fe, January 2015
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted