We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please Help Plan My Day

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Please Help Plan My Day

I'll be without a car in Santa Fe for a Tuesday at the end of this month and dependent on the bus, uber, and foot. I'll meet a friend for lunch (location TBA, his choice) but need ideas for morning and mid-afternoon. (My travel companions will return with our vehicle for dinner, so evening hours are taken care of.)

I'll be at the Silver Saddle Monday and Tuesday nights, have recently explored the Plaza area as well as nearby points of interest, and am not much of a shopper. I don't mind walking, and elevation exposure would be good as I'll be in route to the Grand Canyon for a 6-day backcountry hike.

I'd appreciate ideas about these places, how much time to allow for each, and whether to consider other options.

Museum of Indian Arts, Museum of International Folk Art, Wheelwright Museum, N.M. History Museum. (These are the museums whose descriptions most appealed to me.)

Outdoor attractions, such as Cross of the Martyrs, Santa Fe River Park Trail, the Audubon Center.

Though not a shopper, I'd like to spend a little time on Canyon Road and possibly visit the Railyard. And it might be nice to relax for half an hour or so at somewhere like The Teahouse or Collected Works bookstore.

I'd love to have a suggested plan for 2-3 hours before lunch and another 3-4 hours after lunch, along with ideas about what to omit and/or add. Thanks, everyone.

4 replies to this topic
Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for New Mexico, Albuquerque
Level Contributor
2,423 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please Help Plan My Day

I'm not the expert on Santa Fe, but we took the bus one time from downtown to what I think is called Museum Hill. We especially loved the Folk Art Museum, and have been there several times.

The city bus service goes out there, so that might be something for you to visit.

vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Please Help Plan My Day

Thanks for the recommendation and confirming my impression that the Folk Art museum would be worth visiting.

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
10,939 posts
769 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please Help Plan My Day

Your motel is located quite a ways south of the Plaza are on Cerrillos Road. Its a little farther to Museum Hill. That makes transportation a little more complicated. A taxi may be the simplest and most direct answer from motel to Museum Hill. The shuttles do run to all the areas you are interested in but you will have to wait for them and fit your visits into their schedules.

If you really are into the walking, you can actually follow the shuttle route road maps and walk where you'd like to go.

Look at the maps of the routes below.

https:/…santa_fe_pickup_shuttle

https:/…

The first 3 museums you mention are on Museum Hill, and all of them are world class! Look into getting the multi-museum pass at the first one you visit....it saves money if you visit a few. The Wheelwright is a little walk to the south of the other two which are on a courtyard plaza of their own up there. If you enjoy the museums, all 3 could easily fill your morning. You might suggest a meet at the excellent cafe up at Museum Hill for lunch. The Audubon Center is up that way as well. The Tea House is right at the northern end of Canyon Road and on the Museum Shuttle route.

The NM History Museum is at the Plaza behind the Portico with the Native Market there at the Palace of the Governor's. From there you could walk east from the Museum on Palace Street until you hit Paseo de Peralta...then turn left and follow that around. You will soon see a small park on your right and the Cross of the Martyrs above you. Very soon you will see the stairs that lead you up to the Cross on the right hand side of the Paseo. The Collected Works is SW of the Plaza and easiest to work in if you opt to visit the History Museum and the Cross of the Martyrs. If you do that then perhaps start at the Cross, walk to the Museum and then to the Collected Works after that.

Anywhere you walk in Santa Fe is going to be at 7,000', the same as at Grand Canyon. Grand Canyon's hikes to the bottom and back up require considerable physical and aerobic stamina. The climb back up is especially taxing and steep.

Edited: 15 March 2018, 01:26
vcv
Tennessee
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Please Help Plan My Day

Mary Ellen, Thank you for so much useful information. As it turned out, my friends dropped me off at Museum Hill so I didn't have to walk or find other transportation options. I did get the pass, which I hadn't heard about; it is good for a year and includes places outside of Santa Fe, such as Bosque Redondo so it's something that many visitors to NM might appreciate. I started with the folk art museum and did an excellent docent tour with Ginger and learned so much more than I'd have learned on my own. I then went to the museum of Indian history. I missed the docent tour there but one of the employees took some time to explain one of the exhibits. By this time, my Santa Fe friend arrived and took me to a place called something like Harry's Roadhouse, which the proprietor of Silver Saddle said was something of a local institution. This half day in Santa Fe, of course, wasn't enough but thanks to you, Mary Ellen, I was able to make efficient use of my time!

Reply to: Please Help Plan My Day
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Santa Fe
Recent Conversations