We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road to Taos direction?

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
20 reviews
Road to Taos direction?

I'm in Santa Fe next week for a conference and will have a free 3/4 day. I'm thinking of driving up to Taos. Any thoughts about whether to take the High Road up and the Low one back or vice versa? I'll end that trip checking into Buffalo Thunder.

6 replies to this topic
Los Alamos, New...
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Los Alamos
Level Contributor
970 posts
216 reviews
1. Re: Road to Taos direction?

There's not a compelling scenic reason to go one direction rather than the other. Suggest you check weather forecasts before setting out; the High Road is more likely to be impacted by nasty weather than the low route. Winter storms here are usually more or less done by mid-April, but if you happen to be here for the rare exception, it might shape your decision depending on whether it hits early or late in the day.

All else equal, I'd probably go up the High Road and back on the low road, but I honestly don't know why, although I've done it that way lots of times. Maybe that's the reason: habit...

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: Road to Taos direction?

Thank you much. I've read up and I have the same feeling, but I can't define why either.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
8,464 posts
86 reviews
3. Re: Road to Taos direction?

Up low ... Back return ... To catch that sunset ... over the Rio Grand Valley ... from Truchas ! Happy trails ... carracar

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
22,238 posts
58 reviews
4. Re: Road to Taos direction?

We always do High Road up and Low Road back. Gives us more time to enjoy the towns/villages along the High Road when we aren't as tired and you won't be driving into the sun!

Kalispell, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Santa Fe, Sedona
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
773 reviews
5. Re: Road to Taos direction?

Yes, High Road up and Low Road Back. Its kind of nice to be in the lane next to the Rio Grande River on the way back instead of having to look across on-coming traffic to see the river.

The Taos Pueblo will not be open next week. Restaurants of note along the High Road are Rancho de Chimayo and Sugar Nymphs Bistro in Penasco.

coloradodirectory.com/maps/…highroad6.html

The High Road is a designated scenic byway.

You take beautiful, fully paved back roads, through the scenic countryside. Your first stop might be a short drive to the Nambe Trading Post...the last of the originals. https:/…REVIEWS

Next you drive past the Santuario de Chimayo (a must see/photograph and a very short loop off the the main road). The High Road eventually climbs up to the village of Truchas which is perched along a narrow ridge. Then you pass through forest to Taos. Its a lovely drive.

The Low Road is really the #68 that follows the Rio Grande River but it too is quite scenic. On the low road just south of Taos is Ranchos de Taos Plaza, with its famous adobe church made so famous by Ansel Adams in his photos and Georgia O'Keefe in her paintings. The combo is one of our favorite drives and we take it very often.

Ending the day at Buffalo Thunder and perhaps having dinner at the wonderful Gabriel's just a mile south of it on the east side frontage road is a great idea. https://www.gabrielsofsantafe.com

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
6,265 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Road to Taos direction?

Thank you all. MaryEllenM27, because my conference week, is so packed, reminding me to take my free night at Gabriel's is a great suggestion. It was on my to-do list.

Reply to: Road to Taos direction?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted